Going with a Supercharger, Have Some Questions...

93lx5.0

Founding Member
Mar 1, 1999
Fairfax, VA
Hey guys,

I'm thinking it's time to add some more power to my stang, and always wanted a supercharger. Problem is, I don't know much about them. I'm searching the forums and learning, but it's tough to know what I need for my specific setup. From what I've read, it seems like I'll want to go with bigger injectors (42 maybe?) and a bigger fuel pump (255), but other than that, I'm not so sure. I would appreciate it if you guys could take a look at my mods and let me know what I'm in for. I'm not looking to run crazy boost right off the bat, but upgradeable options are appreciated as I'm sure I'll get addicted quick. Mods are as follows...

Engine
· TFS Twisted Wedge Aluminum Heads
· Upgraded dual valve springs
· TFS 1.7 Roller Rockers
· FMS Roller Lifters
· TFS hardened push rods
· FMS E-303 Camshaft
· Bosch 24 lb/hr. fuel injectors
· 190 lph In-tank Fuel Pump
· FMS Adjustable Fuel Regulator
· Cobra Intake Manifold
· Moroso Cold Air Intake
· Pro-M 75mm Mass Air Meter
· 65mm FMS Throttle body
· FMS Underdrive pullies
· Edelbrock High-Flow water pump
· JMS Custom Programmed Chip (3 program settings)
· High Output Alternator
· MSD-6AL ignition
· MSD Billet Distributor
· MSD 8.5mm Spark Plug Wires
· MSD High Output Ignition Coil

Exhaust
· BBK 1 5/8” Unequal length ceramic coated shorty headers
· 2 ½” Off-Road H-Pipe (still have stock H-pipe)
· 2 ½” Flowmaster 2 chamber Cat-Back

Miscellaneous
· Kenny Brown welded subframe connectors
· 3.55 Rear-end gears
· Pro-5.0 shifter
· Energy Suspension Polyurethane Motor/Trans Mounts
· Centerforce Dual-Friction Street/Strip Clutch

· Dynoed 290 rwhp/311 ft-lbs

• Sponsors (?)

You've got a great setup so far. You'll definitely need bigger injectors and I'd go for a bigger fuel pump too just to be safe. Especially if you intend on running higher boost levels in the future. I don't know the specs of the E cam off hand or how supercharger friendly it is, but if you are looking to maximize performance with the SC you may want to look at getting a custom cam tailored to a SC combo. If you've done most of that engine work yourself you won't have any trouble putting a supercharger on. It's really just a matter of doing some brand research and seeing what features you like better about sepcific ones. A lot of people these days seem to be running Vortech S-Trims for mild boost options. There's also the T-Trims, or a procharger. Do a search on here for superchargers/vortech S-trim/procharger, and see what you come up with. I'm sure others will chime in soon as well.

i love reading posts like the original posters.... everyone bashes the E cam but his set up made more HP than if he were to have put the TFS1 cam in!

anyways, im in the SAME boat. i was thinking the base vortech sc with a 10lbs pully. with that pully i was hoping for about 6-8 lbs with my mods.

i have the tweecer rt so tuning will be easier for me than you but i would slap that thing on and limp it to a tuner so he could get a base line AF ratio and retard your spark.

once you get it to where it is safe for driving you can save/focus on REALLY dialing in the tune.

i would recommend a wideband some time soon after if not before the sc. get it before if your not going to go to the tuner right away. the wideband and retarding timing to 8 or 9 base should be fine for starting out.... just listen for that great sound of detonation:jaw:

i love reading posts like the original posters.... everyone bashes the E cam but his set up made more HP than if he were to have put the TFS1 cam in!

Um, I don't think he was bashing the E cam. He was simply stating that he might want to look into the specs on the E cam and see if there isn't a cam out, or have one custom made, that would be better suited for a blower.

fastfox,
i was not saying that you were, i just was not clear on what exactly my thoughts were. :shrug:

i have just read so much stuff about people not liking, even up to hating the B,E,F cams that its not even funny.

i guess i just go for the underdog, AKA the Ecam. i just have personally known people that make big HP and torque numbers with it.