Gonna blow up StangNet

• Sponsors (?)

Steve and Kurt, unfortunately both of you are in the minority. Phones have become very useful devices...systems like Sync, blue tooth, etc all are integrating. Why would you not want something you use all the time to be able to interact with it? Is it really better to have a walkman tape player, and a phone that simply dials out zack morris style?

You guys must be part of the older generation refusing to get with new technology. Each generation usually gets "stuck" with their technology of choice it seems. I dont know how you could NOT appreciate the new phones...unless u simply didnt understand them or refused to learn. You take pictures right? You play time wasting games on the computer right? You surf the net on your computer. Why wouldnt you do that on your phone? Having a 1yr old son and a phone with camera that can take a decent picture is awesome. But i guess i should keep an old film camera handy for those unexpected moments? Then pull out the typewriter to somehow make a collage with those pictures....all in 20 seconds. Oh wait...a type writer cant do that. :D

Just givin you guys a hard time :jester:

It's not at all like that for me. I do use the camera on mine. But if I'm going to surf the web I will do it on my 22" monitor not a 3" screen. Same with games why play a mediocre game on a small screen when I can play awesome games on my PSP or PS3.

My biggest beef is that damn texting. I get the same stupid email/texts that I got on my computer 10+ years ago. And why sit and waste time typing in texts when I can just talk to someone. They are okay if you're texting me to say you're coming over or something but I will not carry on a conversation thru texts.

But I am a techno geek. I buy the newest tech as soon as it comes out and I can afford it. Looking to get a 3D TV soon. Gran Turismo 5 uses stereoscopic 3D and has head tracking to look out the side windows while using in-car view.

Steve and Kurt, unfortunately both of you are in the minority. Phones have become very useful devices...systems like Sync, blue tooth, etc all are integrating. Why would you not want something you use all the time to be able to interact with it? Is it really better to have a walkman tape player, and a phone that simply dials out zack morris style?

You guys must be part of the older generation refusing to get with new technology. Each generation usually gets "stuck" with their technology of choice it seems. I dont know how you could NOT appreciate the new phones...unless u simply didnt understand them or refused to learn. You take pictures right? You play time wasting games on the computer right? You surf the net on your computer. Why wouldnt you do that on your phone? Having a 1yr old son and a phone with camera that can take a decent picture is awesome. But i guess i should keep an old film camera handy for those unexpected moments? Then pull out the typewriter to somehow make a collage with those pictures....all in 20 seconds. Oh wait...a type writer cant do that. :D

Just givin you guys a hard time :jester:

Oh, I know I'm in the minority. I think a smart phone would be a great tool to have, especially with my job. I just don't want to pay the $30/mo data package for it. My cell phone provider is going all 3G and closing their digital network by 2012. So eventually I'm just going to have to give in. Right now I'm nursing this Motorola razor as long as I can. I can still get batteries for like $6 on ebay. They don't work very well though.

Funny you mention the walkman. I was actually using a tape player walkman up until about 2 years ago. Now I have one of those little shuffle mp3 players I got from Walmart for $35. I also have an ipod that I got as a gift. I never use it though, because ipods are horrible pieces of junk. Some technology is good, and sometimes it's bad. For instance, the DVD has destroyed the movie rental experience. I look over every DVD as well as I can before I rent it, and inevitably I get home, it has a scratch, and the DVD player can't play it. I've finally given up on going to Ballbuster. I just download movies now.

Kurt

I see everyone with smart phones and they are slaves to their phones. They ALWAYS defend it and never admit it to themselves. These phones require more of your attention than your own children and your surroundings. They're constantly buzzing with texts/alerts/ads or whatever, disruptive to any balanced mental state you might be in. They put people's lives in a constant state of confusion because they're trying to spread their attention to everyone and everything via their phone. I love having a phone that can't do anything but make calls. How did the conversation turn into this anyway?

I love my smartphone... I will admit, they're pricey. The only reason I own and use one, is because I got a killer business plan through some woman in corporate Sprint, not a shady little kiosk or store. My entire band got $500 phones for $.99 apiece, and for four lines, with unlimited everything, international, and complete insurance coverage (if the phone is dropped in a toilet, a new one will be at my door within 48 business hours) for a mere $160 a month after taxes. That's less than I paid for a personal plan with Sprint with a non-smartphone. Can't argue with a good deal! :shrug:

My phone works GREAT on silent. No vibrations. No alerts. When I don't want to be interrupted...I'm not :nice:

I will admit that I do spend a ton of time on it. But slave? Lol. These "arguments" are always funny. Who really has confusion when communicating with different people? It's ok not to care for it but the over the top bashing makes no since.

I'll give you 3 reasons why a smartphone is needed:

1. Pictures- whether your own kids, friends, etc it is always convenient to have a quality camera without the extra device. I dont take my dslr everywhere.

2. Idle time: whether you are at the dr, waiting in a line, or at a event it's nice to be able to check your email. Check news sites. Check forums. What do they have at every waiting room? Magazines. Why not have your own personalized literature?

3. Rapid communication. For instance, JT(hissin) was helping me diagnose a problem. Check my email. I see he sent me a pm. I send him one back. All while on the road to Detroit. With your phone, I couldn't do that. And I'd have to wait to get to a computer.

Feel free to argue any of those points. I just figured u could relate to those.

You can be a slave to anything. If you don't know how to have a balanced life then anything can control you. I'm a huge fan of smart phones and I couldn't care less about video games. Yet I'd say video games control more people and offer none of the benefits a smart phone does.

We got here because stangnet's mobile site (you're forced to use it on any phone) sucks and half the options they Show you dont even work.

The world is changing...either you're on board or you're not! :lol:

Oh and there are tons of choices between "calling out only" and smart phones. AT&T has 4 smart phones right now I think? Yet plenty of cheaper phones(some free) that take pictures and surf the web.

Ever use craigslist? Get the app to set a search alert to be the first person to respond about that elusive item you've been hunting for. I've taken advantage of this twice. Making life easier.

Well, I won't say that a smart phone will make you slave, but on the other hand, you don't "need" one either. One of the things I always notice. It's always the people with the lowest means why buy things like that. Every ramper in Atlanta has a Droid, iphone, or Google phone. And you always see the senior pilots walking around with a hershey bar.

Kurt

Careful with always...what's the demographic of your fellow pilots?

I see engineers around me....young and "older"....and all i see them with is either a iPhone or Droid.

Again, I'm not saying you NEED a smart phone. But a phone with a camera, browser, etc is really convenient. A smart phone just takes all those things and makes them really really nice.

Kurt you don't listen to music? You never owned a portable cd player? Tape player? You ever work out? Again this isn't smart phone features...just today's phone features.

Oh and the mobile site here is ad free. So if they just made it actually work right, it would be great to use!

I will admit that I do spend a ton of time on it. But slave? Lol. These "arguments" are always funny.

You're right, I shouldn't have used slavery. I should have used 'drug', as it's more applicable. Nonetheless, there are no arguments from me, only opinions. I like things simple and it usually entails actively rejecting social pressures. Now days, the big one is that it's becoming OK to give up personal information to corporations as a trade off for a little bit of entertainment or convenience. You mention every engineer around you has an iPhone or Droid and that one should change because the world is changing. That's a form of group-think which is easily exploitable via any number of means by those who seek to make a profit from you and your personal data.