Goodbye to an old friend - totaled a truck that's been with me for 20 yrs

FastDriver

My dad had a bra
SN Certified Technician
Sep 5, 2001
Vass, NC
I haven't been around as of late because I'm getting ready to move, and have had a lot on my plate.

On Tuesday morning, I was driving slowly in my 1990 GMC Suburban on Fort Drum, but wasn't giving due care or attention to the specific circumstances of the intersection I was approaching. The road was covered in ice for about 200'. I tried to stop, but couldn't the brakes were hardly doing anything.

As I approached the intersection knowing that I couldn't stop, I looked to see if any traffic was approaching. Unfortunately, there was a semi moving from left to right going probably 45 mph, and I knew I'd need a miracle to avoid the collision. I didn't get one :(, but I was still lucky enough as it turned out. The semi did what he could, but unfortunately, the roads were just as bad for him and his attempt to avoid me did almost nothing. I watched in horror as the semi barreled down on me. I knew it was going to strike me almost dead on the driver's side. Though it seems foolish at first, reacting to my instinct, I actually unbuckled my seat belt and jumped over to the passenger side of the front bench seat, grabbed the corner of the seat and held on for dear life as the big rig utterly destroyed the driver's side of my truck, turning the driver's seat into crushed metal and a broken steering column/seat. Fortunately, I wasn't hurt.

Hit by the corner of the big rig, the Suburban was thrown into the guard rail and brushed to the side of the road. The truck driver got out and came running back, but I was already out of the truck and could see the relief in his eyes. He asked me if someone else was in the truck and when I told him that I was the driver he said very slowly and broken, "That's...... F-ing........ Amazing." He told me that he saw me coming and knew I was in trouble and did everything he could to swerve or stop and just didn't have any control.

We went and looked at the big rig and there was hardly a scratch. I told him that I had no intention of trying to repair or replace my truck since it probably wasn't worth $500 to anyone else. Then, he said, "hell, a coupl'a whacks from my sledge hammer'll get that bumper back into shape. I reckon we don't even need to call insurance."

When the MPs showed up, they saw us agree about it and decided not to even file a report. Then the towing company I called agreed to come take the truck for no money just for salvage.

If that part of the story isn't already cool enough, I'm moving down to Fort Benning, GA on Monday and now that I'm not driving the ol' 'burban down there, I've rented a moving truck and will be able to move all of my belongings myself. The Army is going to pay me ~$5,000 to move 4,000 lbs worth of stuff. The moving truck cost me $1,200 to rent, my in-the-mean-time rental car cost me $180, add in whatever gas will cost and a 25% profit tax that the gov't will take on anything they pay me that I don't spend, and I expect to come out around $2,500-$3,000 ahead.

I'm sad to see the ol' girl go like that. She was certainly better to me than I was to her. I was 8 y/o when I climbed into it for the first time on the dealer's lot when my mom and dad purchased it in San Antonio, TX. Since, then I've had so many experiences with it. It was the first car I drove (illegally). It was perfect for camping trips, towing boats, my jet-ski, loads of my friends. When I started off racing Go-karts, I could put all of the tools, tires, gears stand, and other accessories AND a racing go-kart inside of the back of that truck. I've been thinking about getting a new truck lately, but I don't know if I could've done it. I guess it was just one last act of kindness from her. The money I make from the trip will go a long way towards a nice used truck.... probably another 'burban.

May she rest in pieces...er... peace,

Chris

• Sponsors (?)

I'm sorry to hear this, but it is remarkable how well you came out of it.

In a weird way, it sounds like she was a domestic version of the kevlar you probably wear when overseas.

Hit my a tractor trailer and your here telling us you walked away mostly unharmed. I would be very glad I owned that truck! Sorry to hear man, and I think you should definately stick with a suburban for the next one... sounds like they work for you!

It sucks to lose an old friend like that, but your quick thinking/moving is a pretty awesome story. At least she went out in a blaze of glory and not left to rot behind someone's garage.

Good to hear you're OK.

Your avatar was what I thought of too when you were looking out the window. Sorry it happened but I am so glad what it happened in and that you had the calm enough thought to get away from the drivers side. If it was a Stang you would prolly be dead :(
That Suburban saved your life! You need a part of that car to remember how it served you well and saved your life in the end. That is truley amazing. I never complain when I see big ass SUVs like that with a mom driving and a few kids in it cause I know thats the best way to protect them while on the roads.

RIP Suburban. :flag:

Your avatar was what I thought of too when you were looking out the window. Sorry it happened but I am so glad what it happened in and that you had the calm enough thought to get away from the drivers side. If it was a Stang you would prolly be dead :(
That Suburban saved your life! You need a part of that car to remember how it served you well and saved your life in the end. That is truley amazing. I never complain when I see big ass SUVs like that with a mom driving and a few kids in it cause I know thats the best way to protect them while on the roads.

RIP Suburban. :flag:

Agreed, they are among the safest rides on the roads (along with Panther cars) ... but alas, out where I live, the only people driving them are jackholes that like to talk or text on their cell phones and weave in and out of traffic, cutting people off and tailgating everyone not doing 15 MPH over the posted limit. I dunno if it's the SUV's size that gives them a sense of overconfidence and invincibility, or if it's the whole "look at me, I have a cell phone, I'm important" thing - either way, it gives SUV's (and their drivers) a bad name, IMO.

Definitely good to hear you came out of it safely, though. :nice:

Thanks for the support guys. I really appreciate your comments, and you are exactly why I mod for Stangnet. We've got a really good group of guys in the 5.0 forums.

Chris

Here's a pic of the ol' girl. I'm gonna miss her. So easy to work on, I could literally climb into the engine bay. Nothing particularly fancy, and nothing hard to find in a junk yard. What I lost in gas mileage, I made up for in maintenance. There was 189,000 on the clock, but considering how long the speedometer didn't work before I fixed it, I'd bet that it was over 300,000 miles. She went through 2 motors and 3 transmissions in her life, and until 2004, she was towing a 5,000 lbs boat regularly and horse trailers that weighed even more.

Chris

Attachments

• 2007 Chris and mom to NY before deploy (22).jpg
    2007 Chris and mom to NY before deploy (22).jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 115
Thanks man, you're right. My pop and I kept her going all those years with good maintenance, and other than some surface rust on the hitch from almost 20 years of backing boats and jet-skis into salt-water, there was no rust to speak of on the body or frame.