Got my 347 running for the Ranchero

Fast63

Sep 20, 2007
Finally got my 347 running and broken in last Sunday, and had time today to fill up the ATF all the way in the tranny to drive it, as well as tune the timing, idle mixture and such. I'll post a little video of it running in the driveway a little later tonight, so let me know what you guys think when I post it. I'm excited, I can tell it has a lot of power, but I haven't given it much throttle yet.

Shoot, I should have posted this in the talk section.

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah, here is the part list:

'91 roller block
3.4 inch stroke cast crank
5.4 inch H-beam rods
Probe flat top pistons with 2 valve reliefs
TFS twisted wedge heads
10.5:1 compression
Edelbrock Air-gap intake
750 edelbrock carb
Doug's headers 1 5/8 primary
MSD pro-billet "ready to run" distributor and blaster 2 coil

unknown brand timing chain set, but it has a nice set of gears and double roller chain. The crank sprocket has keyways for 8, 6, 4, and 2 degrees to advance or retard the cam, and I have it set to 2 degrees advanced.

You guessed it! Cam is comp 282S solid flat tappet. Specs are 282/282 advertised duration with 236/236 duration at .050 lift, and .528/.528 lift.

Did a little more tuning to it today and stepped on it a little more. Has great power, almost a little dangerous:jaw:

Are the headers the dougs 660YA s? Im thinking that may be what I put on my Comet. I just put a set of doug thorley shorties on my falcon with a t5 and they fit pretty nice. Totally different company tho.

Yep, they are the Doug's 660YA's. They were a tight fit, but the fit none-the-less with some careful engine positioning. It's definitely a nice header. I think I saw some pictures of your exhaust setup on TFFN? or was that someone else's?

yep, thats me. Im hoping to get the little gremlins sorted out of my Falcon so I can sell it, then I can put most of that money towards a house, and some to my Comet. I want the 660YAs because theyll clear the auto thats in it now, and supposedly will clear a t5 with clutch cable that Id like to put in later on.

It's definitely a nice header, although it sort of breaks the bank. Make sure you inspect the headers when you get them. Mine were scratched in some places, but they were places that you would not see, and it was not really Doug's Headers' fault, but either summit or UPS. Also, my collector extension pipes were different sizes, one was 2 1/4, the other 2 1/2. That was Doug's fault, but they happily sent me a new set free of charge. Great header though, some of the best quality I've seen. Spring for the ceramic coated.