Got shocked.

Black 93 Fox

Jun 1, 2003
Vancouver,Washington
So I was just cleaning things up on the stang the other day while it was warming up and I happen to touch one of the spark plug wire boots on top of the dizzy and it shocked me I happen to have my hand on the front metal nearn the rad and it went from my left hand straight threw my right and to the metal. So I thought werid and touched the same one again with out my hand being on the metla thinking it wouldnt do it again and it did just stayed at my left hand. Its only the one certain wire what does this mean is the wire toast?

Thanks for the info

• Sponsors (?)

You can mist water over the wires in the dark (be real careful since you cant see moving engine parts) to see how much spark scatter you have. You can also ohm the wires out.

I dont really dont sweat the spark personally. I get shocked everytime I touch the cap, but I could not tell you which wire it is, or if it is the coil wire. As long as I dont see spark jumping from wire to wire or from wire to ground, I dont worry too much.

Others' opinions on that will vary. When I have done new wires in the past, I could still get shocked though.

Im not gona really worrie about it the car seems to be running great so...Just one quick way to wake up give it a try in the morning lol. Thanks for the info.

HISSIN50 said:
You can mist water over the wires in the dark (be real careful since you cant see moving engine parts) to see how much spark scatter you have. You can also ohm the wires out.

I dont really dont sweat the spark personally. I get shocked everytime I touch the cap, but I could not tell you which wire it is, or if it is the coil wire. As long as I dont see spark jumping from wire to wire or from wire to ground, I dont worry too much.

Others' opinions on that will vary. When I have done new wires in the past, I could still get shocked though.

:nice:
Feels good doesn't it.

I had a short in my msd coil tag me a few years ago.
It did make finding the source of my problems easier, altough painful.

I would think that the stray spark would be pretty bad, and would only get worse as the wires age.

I have been using the same wires for about 7 years now. These are the same msd wires that I had on the 302. They were pricey, but they have lasted a long time, and have not given me any problems.

JT-
What brand wires allowed the spark jump when new? That seems sketchy.

jason

vristang said:
JT-
What brand wires allowed the spark jump when new? That seems sketchy.

jason

Jason, I think we were talking about getting shocked from touching the boots, not the wires themselves. I agree that one should not get shocked from touching the jackets on the wires. :nice:

Welcome to my world, I always USE to use a screwdriver in the spark plug end & bump engine to check for spark it worked great when you didnt get a spark but it would zap the you know what out of you when it does fire, Now I just get someone nearby to hold it while I crank it, if they holler I know it firing...

Bill

I just got zapped yesterday.

bdollarbill said:
Welcome to my world, I always USE to use a screwdriver in the spark plug end & bump engine to check for spark it worked great when you didnt get a spark but it would zap the you know what out of you when it does fire, Now I just get someone nearby to hold it while I crank it, if they holler I know it firing...

Bill

I just got zapped yesterday.
Bill, I normally just grab an old plug and insert it into the plug wire boot. Set the plug so its threads rest on the plenum and watch while cranking. SInce you are firing through the actual plug gap, you can see spark quality a little easier and dont have to worry about the air gap being too large.

I just saw on another thread that Tom went one step further and added a clip to the old plug so he does not have to rest the threads of the plug on the plenum and worry about a good connection. Good idea.

HISSIN50 said:
I just saw on another thread that Tom went one step further and added a clip to the old plug so he does not have to rest the threads of the plug on the plenum and worry about a good connection. Good idea.

I appreciate you mentioning that. That is a great idea.

:SNSign: