Granantelli

86bluecobra

Advanced Member
Dec 20, 2004
B.C. Canada
I was looking at a Granantelli Tubular K-member for a swap into my 86 Mustang. Has anyone used there tubular K-member? Any issues with fitment? I just don't want any surprises. Can it be bolted in easily? I was thinking about doing the swap this winter since I want to pull my engine to clean up the engine bay wiring. I guess it would be a good time to add 87-93 spindles aswell that way I can use strange adjustable struts. I want to get my car to hook better and losing some wieght up front would be a good way to do it. That 351w is a bit heavier then the 302. So if anyone has used this piece please chime in on technical issues you found with it.
Thx in Advance.

• Sponsors (?)

Don't do it man. I've never examined one of these things up close but have heard nothing but bad news from folks who've had their suspension components in for any length of time. I think that most of Gran stuff is Hack, 2gen, knock-offs.

If this is your DD, look to one of the heavier duty offerings like AJE or MM. Lighter than the stock K-member but heavier than all these Brand X deals.

Note: I'm moving your shopping thread to the Talk section.

Our 86' has an older D&D set-up,I know people talk crap about them sometimes,but I never have had a problem. And this car did used to see quite a bit of street driving. Also,when I jack the car up I jack it up right on the cross over bar on the K-Member,its plenty strong.

btw,Im gunna have to get pics of my trick CUSTOM billet alum. tranny mount for PG conversion. :D

I have the Granatelli and I autocross my car and never had any problems. Compared it to the "better" k members as far as measurements and everything was the same. Welds looked fine.

JETHRO said:
I have the Granatelli and I autocross my car and never had any problems. Compared it to the "better" k members as far as measurements and everything was the same. Welds looked fine.

:shrug: :rlaugh:

The Penut Gallery said:
it's not as good as .... you can find cheaper........everything is junk, every thing breaks, it's all crap, someone broke something so it must be junk, TKO's break all the time, Granatelli Kmembers snap, UPR controll arms crack, flaming river burns out, bla, bla, bla.... unless of course it's Maximum Motorsports.

This is what you will hear with almost any product out there, especially for mustangs. Guess what? These are car parts and people race with them... things are going to break. You see pro drag racers, F1 cars, and NASCAR cars breaking all the time. I guess they are all using crap parts.

The GMS K-member is beyond beefy. What I have agains it is that it weighs so much. Not as much as stock, but not as light as many other brands. It is welded to the hilt, and uses thick steel. If someone just 'broke" one... they probally didn't tell you about that concrete curb that just happened to jump out in front of them.

Sorry about the rant, but I get so tired of hearing this "it's junk" BS w/o actually first hand knowlege.

This is what you will hear with almost any product out there, especially for mustangs. Guess what? These are car parts and people race with them... things are going to break. You see pro drag racers, F1 cars, and NASCAR cars breaking all the time. I guess they are all using crap parts.

The GMS K-member is beyond beefy. What I have agains it is that it weighs so much. Not as much as stock, but not as light as many other brands. It is welded to the hilt, and uses thick steel. If someone just 'broke" one... they probally didn't tell you about that concrete curb that just happened to jump out in front of them.

Sorry about the rant, but I get so tired of hearing this "it's junk" BS w/o actually first hand knowlege.

Gotta agree with this man right here...

Plus,I honestly don't think there is a part thats "bolt-on and forget" everything should be checked once in a while.

btw,Jason I added you to my msnm :nice:

How long have you had it in the car?

Ive had the same one in two cars actually. Total of around 2 years with maybe 20000 miles. 10000 of those were probably pretty harsh. So if it was gonna give , it wouldve given by now. I swapped everything out of the 89 into the 90 and once again when I had it in between cars I checked it over. Nothing wrong.
Daggar , what dont you understand about my previous post?:shrug:

Well I looked at the MM stuff. wow expensive. I have no doubt it is good quality but damn. Another question I have is about this drivetrain geometery they claim to improve. On a 86 mustang you can get a 225 on the front but it rubs on the front of the fenderwell when turning. They are the same front suspention as a 87-93 4 banger. Basically built for 14 inch wheels. If these things move my front tire 3/4 of an inch forward am I going to have serious clearence issues?

I personally went with a PA racing k-mamber, My buddy has one on his car and recomended them for me. I have had no problems, and Pa racing k-memeber will keep your suspension in the stock location.

If these things move my front tire 3/4 of an inch forward am I going to have serious clearence issues?

Pa Racing K-mamber will not do this. It cost me around 250$, and 3 weeks. They build to the order. You can get any option you wish. Move the engine back, Move it lower, Or different monts for a different motor. You can also order them in any color of powdercoat you wish.

I personally went with a PA racing k-mamber, My buddy has one on his car and recomended them for me. I have had no problems, and Pa racing k-memeber will keep your suspension in the stock location.

Pa Racing K-mamber will not do this. It cost me around 250$, and 3 weeks. They build to the order. You can get any option you wish. Move the engine back, Move it lower, Or different monts for a different motor. You can also order them in any color of powdercoat you wish.

Do You have a link for these guys? Sounds like it is worth looking into.

the guys at Anderson hooked me up with pa racing.i have to say,awesome quality!

DON’T BUY GRANATELLI!!!! Read this before purchasing anything made by Granatelli Motor Sports. I bought a Granatelli cold air kit for my 2007 Mustang GT (the one that comes with it’s own MAF sensor). I carefully installed it, and got check engine lights. Granatelli had me send back the calibration harness and sent me a new one. I installed it again, same thing happens again! I call them up and they tell me the cold air kit just doesn’t work with some vehicles and that I will get a full refund. I ship it back to the vendor (this is what they told me to do), and the vendor calls me and tells me they can’t refund my money because the kit is used. Well duh! I had to install it to find out it didn’t work (what is this, a Dilbert cartoon?). Long story short, they ship it back to Granatelli who now tells me they are charging a restocking fee to the vendor. The vendor then of course is charging me a 20% restocking fee!!! I tell Grantelli that they told me I’d be getting a full refund. They deny this and also deny telling me that the kit doesn’t work with some cars. This is total BS!!! Never buy anything from Grantelli, you’ll be sorry! (this is from a nother satisfied customer)triton tr20 from moddedmustangs.