Grant steering wheel

tomcatgt

Aug 5, 2003
Oklahoma
Have a 65 coupe with the original steering wheel. Has anyone put the Grant wood wheel on that retails for around $130? How do you like it? How's it look?
Also does the Cobra walnut gear shift handle match it?

• Sponsors (?)

Just put mine on.

Just finished installing my Grant Classic Wood Wheel and it looks great! The Paddock has the Wheel and instalation kit available for $109.00 total. Best price out there. :nice:

D.Hearne said:
:D I had one on my 67 back in the 80's. Good luck on getting the horn to work right. As I recall, everyone who's done these usually ends up unplugging the horn when it sticks. :rlaugh:
Have no problems with the horn, they redesigned the kit so as to make this not a problem, although i think it could be even better designed to make it even better. it was very recently redesigned so hopefully you wont get the old kit, i even had a separate sheet of instructions with mine as an addendum to the original instructions for the modification. but i have no horn problems, and it looks great. just be aware, if you put it on wrong, you will need to buy a special puller to get it off. i used a harmonic balancer puller, a standard wheel puller wont fit.
attachment.php

I have the grant wood grain wheel. I think it looks good, but get ready to hear this from everyone who looks at the car....

"Wow, the car looks great but that isn't the original steering wheel."
For some reason, everyone points this out.

duh.
820791_8_full.jpg

820791_7_full.jpg

thats not exactly the same wheel i think we are showcasing here. see above. but non the less, looks good! i wouldnt care if people said that about my car considering there are alot of little "resto mod" modern day things under the hood and in the dash like the autometer gauges with the digital odometer. if someone said to me "that isnt the original instrument cluster" i may just have to smack them across the face :)

Hey 84convert, When you say 'put it on wrong' what exactly do you mean? Mine's on, but there is barely enough room to fit the nut on the column, and there's a big gap between the deepest shroud and the column outer. It's kinda like it needs to go on another 3/8".

Any ideas?

84convertablegt said:
Have no problems with the horn, they redesigned the kit so as to make this not a problem, although i think it could be even better designed to make it even better. it was very recently redesigned so hopefully you wont get the old kit, i even had a separate sheet of instructions with mine as an addendum to the original instructions for the modification. but i have no horn problems, and it looks great. just be aware, if you put it on wrong, you will need to buy a special puller to get it off. i used a harmonic balancer puller, a standard wheel puller wont fit.
attachment.php
Is there any way you could post the new instructions? I would love to know what has changed so I will know what to look for when I am looking for the new kit. I have the wood wheel and love it but my horn has been unhooked since I got the car. Couldn’t get us to the sparks when I pushed the horn.

ill see if i can find the new instructions, actually they came with the steering wheel not the mount. i basically involves throwing away the spring that comes with the mount kit and using 4 rubber bumpers, which is a crappy solution but it works! ill try and find the sheet.

i installed a grant wood wheel, that is similar to the original wood wheel in the early mustangs, in my falcon. it was an easy install, i did change the horn spring to one that was much stiffer, and i used the grant vehicle security system so i can remove the wheel when i park the car. while i like the wheel, it is not as comfortable as a leather wrapped wheel would be, but it isnt as bad as i thought it would be either.

damannhw said:
Tim, (65fastback), which wheel is that ? I've been looking at the Grant's in black for my car. I like that one !

It's the Grant, Collectors Edition Wheel. Black leather grip, polished aluminum 3 spoke design, billet horn button trim ring. 14" diameter, 3-3/4" dish including styling sleeve. Grant part number #1130. I got it from Summit Racing - http://www.grantproducts.com/default.html

nds03 said:
i got a grant. the horn doesnt work, neither do the blinkers. wheel looks cool, but it sucks

This sounds like an installation issue, not a product defect. These wheels can be installed correctly, so that both your horn and turn signals work. You must follow the specific installation instruction for Fords, the horn set up is a GM design. You need to make a small, easy modification that is outlined in the directions.

Tim