GT 5.0 vs. V-6 w/Performance Package - cost vs. benefit?

There are SEVERAL magazines and sites and such that have done articles on this topic. The 4.6 3-valve IS FASTER than the 11 V6. I'm not "butthurt" about it, and I think the new sixer is a badass car, I'm just saying don't say it's faster when it is not. Yes, it is faster than the SN-95's and older, but it is not faster than the 3-valve. I was simply correcting that error in your post.

unless the 3 valve suddenly makes up most GT's on the planet what i said still stands. the point is that they're comparable. a testament to that is this very discussion. the 3 valve vs v6 thing is going to vary wildly from car to car and driver to driver. can an auto base 08 GT take a manual V6 with optional gears and a good driver? probably not. vert auto vs v6? probably not. can a great driver in a V6 beat a mediocre driver in a GT? yep.

mods? depends on who mods more.

depends on the car, depends on the driver, and with the exception of the 2010 3 valve the rest are neck in neck with the sixers.

im glad you aren't butthurt about it. i said you shouldn't be.

• Sponsors (?)

Where are you getting these comparisons from? Have you actually seen these particular cars go head to head on a strip? It's cool that you REALLY only like the new V6, but unless you have some sort of proof to back up what you're saying, it's just your opinion. I've been to the strips and seen people race the new sixers. They are an impressive machine, but I've never seen one keep up with any S-197 GT. And yes, I'm only referring to the S-197 GT's since we're in the S-197 section of the forum.

I'm not trying to start anything and I'd like to see this go back on topic of 5.0 vs performance pack V6. I know the OP already bought his car, but I'm willing to bet a lot of people with a budget and looking at a new stang are really asking themselves this question since the new 6 offers so much more than any of the base model stangs before it. I simply wanted to correct your statement on the V6 being faster and outshining the older GT's.

I simply wanted to correct your statement on the V6 being faster and outshining the older GT's.

so is it your position that a stock PP V6 is not faster than any STOCK older GT's?

....and citing cars that are most certainly modded VS brand new cars that probably aren't modded yet isn't exactly a fair comparison.

And theres Makoto again, beating the V6 drum and talking out his tailpipe. Did you ever stop to consider that the peak HP they all tout about the V6 is so high up in the power band that it really isn't useful for anything but drag racing? And I guess he cares nothing about torque. I am so tired of his lame ass Napoleon complex about V6 cars...

I am so tired of his lame ass Napoleon complex about V6 cars...

Then please just go away Astro Boy; your sarcastic input is neither needed or appreciated here. We are trying to have an intelligent conversation in keeping with the title of the thread I started. Most understand that, you don't - take your hateful remarks and just go away sir. :(

My sarcastic input? I offer rebuttal to his ignorant and false statements and it's sarcastic? He trolls the forums looking for fights and singing the false praises of the V6 Mustang and how it pwns GTs, when none of it is true. Tell you what, noob, since I've been here long before you bought your mustang and joined up, I don't think I'll be taking direction from you any time soon.

Ya those 2 just really need their own thread at this point...I can't think of anything creative to call it, any one have any ideas? We can just copy/paste all the arguments into that one and delete whatever out of these threads and just let it go on for entertainment purposes.

Lol that would be a fun thread. I'm tired of opening threads and it only being Makoto saying the V6 is God's gift to the Mustang world and then Astro basically just trashing everybody who can't afford a GT lol. I feel a lot of these threads need to be cleaned up and have some stuff deleted out of them...

Lol that would be a fun thread. I'm tired of opening threads and it only being Makoto saying the V6 is God's gift to the Mustang world and then Astro basically just trashing everybody who can't afford a GT lol. I feel a lot of these threads need to be cleaned up and have some stuff deleted out of them...

hey, the new sixer being God's gift to the mustang world has nothing to do with nancy boy's piss poor attitude :)

I've been looking at this same thing. My issue is, in the F150 Ford charges you about $1000 for nothing more than to upgrade from the 3.7 to the 5.0. In the Mustang, as you point out, Ford charges you $5000 for that same engine upgrade. Talk about gouging.

I've been looking at this same thing. My issue is, in the F150 Ford charges you about $1000 for nothing more than to upgrade from the 3.7 to the 5.0. In the Mustang, as you point out, Ford charges you $5000 for that same engine upgrade. Talk about gouging.

(good to get this back on topic, thanks!...)

Agreed 181, it is gouging - they are just taking advantage of the market for the 5.0 engine. From a lot of reading I have done, the two engines are very similar, they have just lopped off two cylinders. You end up with 75% of the engine with 75% of the HP. No way that costs them $5K more to produce the V-8! Oh well... I guess if you wanna dance you gotta pay the fiddler.

(good to get this back on topic, thanks!...)

Agreed 181, it is gouging - they are just taking advantage of the market for the 5.0 engine. From a lot of reading I have done, the two engines are very similar, they have just lopped off two cylinders. You end up with 75% of the engine with 75% of the HP. No way that costs them $5K more to produce the V-8! Oh well... I guess if you wanna dance you gotta pay the fiddler.

Right! Normally I'd be inclined to purchase the V6 just on pricipal. But something tells me this very well could be the last generation of Mustang to offer a pure pony car experiance before global sales interests and government mandates take the car in a new unwanted direction. Would hate to look back regret not taking advantage of that over what equates to a couple bucks a day on an auto payment. Man car shopping sucks:D

Right! Normally I'd be inclined to purchase the V6 just on pricipal. But something tells me this very well could be the last generation of Mustang to offer a pure pony car experiance before global sales interests and government mandates take the car in a new unwanted direction. Would hate to look back regret not taking advantage of that over what equates to a couple bucks a day on an auto payment. Man car shopping sucks:D

you DO realize that there are used cars right? :)

ford took too long to bring back the 5.0. it isn't dying anytime soon. it gets reasonable mileage and with the awesome mpg from the V6 towing most of the mustang load they can totally afford to have the 5.0 getting not as great mileage (but not bad either, for what awesome perfromance you get).

This week a few more morsels were let loose from the bag of tricks within the FoMoCo compound. One delicious morsel we heard of today was the fact Bill Ford Jr. let loose hints that we are quite likely to see a turbocharged Mustang in the very near future. A reporter-for-the-scoop at Princeton posed a direct line to Ford Jr. during a Q&A session, mildly put, asking whether or not we’d soon see boost underneath a Mustang hood, powered by backpressure. It seems we shall.

Yea Im still waiting on that ...I like the fact that there is this big debate about which Mustang to buy ..... Much better than can only get a slow V6 or a not to fast V8... Way to go FORD ...

Yea Im still waiting on that ...I like the fact that there is this big debate about which Mustang to buy ..... Much better than can only get a slow V6 or a not to fast V8... Way to go FORD ...

thats why im so stoked about ford right now. they aren't making the 'crappy models' and then 'the cool models' that just cost more. its actually a debate. prior to 2011 there's no freaking way i'd buy a new v6 mustang.

Well, how do current 3.7 v6 owner's feel about there purchase after living with them for awhile, any buyers remorse? Any former 5.0 or 4.6 owners who went to the new v6, whats your feeling?