GT40P Street Car @ the track

25thmustang

Mustang Master
Sep 5, 2003
Montgomery, NY
Alright guys heres the deal. My dad took the GT40P motor out of his car and swapped it into an 86 GT we had laying around. My brother and dad did it all and got it running. Tossed it on the dyno and sadly it made 250 rwhp and fell on its face at 4500 RPM. Needless to say the SD comp was the culprit. Put the MAF one in and the car revved right to 6000 again. They headed off to the track today and the times sound pretty good for the first outing.

The motor has changed a little, but here it is.

Stock B/E 302, stock cam (4 degrees retarded), GT40Ps, milled with good valve job, 1.7 rockers, cobra intake, 70mm TB, 76mm MAF, C&L pipe, filter, pulleys, 19 lbers, FMS shorties, Prochamber, Flows, 3.55s (really killed the car), stock T5, shifter, weak clutch, no name control arms.

On 26x9 slicks and hooking too hard with the 3.55s...

8.094 @ 86.49
12.678 @ 106.82

Not bad for 85 degrees a humid, and its first runs down the track. The motor in my dads 91 went 12.00 @ 112 on its best 1/4 pass, and 7.48 @ 90 on its best 1/8 pass at a different event.

My guess, 12.4s by the end of the year, and it gets mid 20 mpg all day long to and from work.

• Sponsors (?)

Here, found this one of it at the track!

510784_486_full.jpg

As always, impressive times! I'm hoping mine will pull similar times :D Yah right.
How important do you think that cam position is? I've been debating doing it to mine, kinda kicking myself for not doing it when I was putting it back in.

Yeah, that launch is killing it actually. With 3.55s the car launches hard, yanks the tire (tires according to people at the track) and then falls on its face. We need it to launch nice and low, keep the tires down, and low 1.7 high 1.6 60's should come.

The cam position in my eyes makes a difference. This car will pull to 6000 RPM with the stocker. It definately moves the power band, and with the stock cams specs, it still has great bottem end torque.

Thats funny that you mention that because its exactly what my car does. Ive got those same tires too and I think they are awesome. 70 passes on mine and about two months of street time and they still have a ton of meat left on them. They are completely streetable too

Yeah, I think with some more tire pressure it will 60' better. For slower cars (12s and slower) hooking too hard is as bad if not worse than spinning too much. My car spins and hits 1.69 60's, whereas this one hooks and was doing 1.79 60's. That and 90+ degrees out wasnt the best.

Cool air is way more fun!