Fox Gt40p Valve Spring Question

Scrappy91

Jul 31, 2016
I'm swapping in a late 70s 302 that has gt40p heads and I need to put in a 351w cam so I can run it with my h.o computer in my car. I want to put a decent size cam in it and need help with trying to find valve springs for a hydraulic flat tapper can not a roller that I can just drop in with no machining links or part numbers would be helpful thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I'm swapping in a late 70s 302 that has gt40p heads and I need to put in a 351w cam so I can run it with my h.o computer in my car. I want to put a decent size cam in it and need help with trying to find valve springs for a hydraulic flat tapper can not a roller that I can just drop in with no machining links or part numbers would be helpful thanks
I'm looking at running at least a .472/.496 lift cam maybe a little bigger

In general, roller cam springs have more closed seat pressure than a flat tappet cam. The exception to this is roller cam springs used in trucks and SUV's

Roller cams have faster lift rate that flat tappet. This gives the same HP without so much duration and overlap that it causes low speed performance losses when used in a street driven car.

?temp_hash=17b6a63480820aacec00518ac629f332%20.gif

Attachments

• Roller vrs flat tappet cam.gif
    Roller vrs flat tappet cam.gif
    8.3 KB · Views: 675
Last edited:
I'm looking at running at least a .472/.496 lift cam maybe a little bigger
Actually more like a .496/.520 lift
In general, roller cam springs have more closed seat pressure than a flat tappet cam. The exception to this is roller cam springs used in trucks and SUV's

Roller cams have faster lift rate that flat tappet. This gives the same HP without so much duration and overlap that it causes low speed performance losses when used in a street driven car.

?temp_hash=17b6a63480820aacec00518ac629f332%20.gif
thats why I don't want roller springs