H nd X pipes vs Straight pipes

H and X pipes vs Straight pipes

Can someone explain the reason for having an h or x pipe where the pipes are "connected at one point". Just wondering why this setup is used instead of just having two pipes ran straight to the mufflers without them connected "True dual" style.

Thanks, Matt
:SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

The reason is b/c the cross over pipe rather it be a H or X equalizes the pressure on both sides. If you run straight pipe you will have a problem with your car making an aweful popping noise when you let off the gas. From expirence with straight pipe get an H or X pipe.

back in the OLD days they ran "true duals" like you're talking about. that was before H-pipes came along and proved to make a bit more power. people have gone FAST with the "true duals" but for the cost of a used off road H-pipe may as well go that route...

I will say this... I have Mac LTs, and a Mac Prochamber on my car and it makes good power. For emissions I bought two sections of pipe (fitted to Mac LTs) with cats in them, which created the true dual exhaust like mentioned. The car has a MUCH different tone, does crack and pop when I let off, but is also louder. Power wise it feels a good deal slower, and me racing my friends modded 05 GT proved it was a little slower, but it does sound much different!

I have strait pipes on my 70 because I didn't have enough room to put an equalizer bar with the long tube headers and x frame. It does have a popy sound and its loud.
Kevin

When I first had my exhaust done it was just straight duals back into dynamax super turbos. Did have the popping sound, even at idle and just didnt quite sound right. Put the x-pipe in and noticed an imediate difference. Sounds mean now and was a noticable increase in power.

Only wierd part is it sounds like you guys expierienced it being louder without a corssover, mine DEFINATELY got louder after the x-pipe.:shrug:

Either way I think an exhaust is incomplete without one.:nice: