handheld tuners

Bullitt0616

Aug 31, 2005
as im new to stangs, what other handheld tuners are there other than Diablo, Superchips and Xcal?

Would it be fair to ask what the best one is or at least pros and cons of each?

• Sponsors (?)

I've owned both the Predator and Superchips handheld tuner, and in my opinion, the Superchips performance tune gave me better drivability and transmission shift points than the Predator. My steering wheel used to slightly vibrate upon stopping at a red light with the Predator performance tune and the stock tune. Now on the Superchips tune, my car idles so smoothly and no vibration coming from the steering wheel being stopped at a red light. Power wise, I feel that the gains between the Predator and Superchips performance tunes are similar.

personaly i'd get the SCT Xcal 2 over the preditor and superchips. just my bias as it has everything i want, and the guys at SCT are VERY helpful. plus it helps that a lot of tuners use SCT tunes for their customers, so it makes it easy to change things after you get a custom tune.

diablo from what i have heard has the best out of the box tune from diablo, especially for cobras. it works welll, and has a nice display. it does not have everything worded well so some things CAN be misleading. and i have no knowledge of superchips, so i cant comment there.

Torinalth

The Diablo Predator and SCT XCal 2 are both equal with respect to custom tuning, and are simply the medium used to download a custom tune to your vehicle. The only difference is whether your favorite tuner uses Diablo or SCT software. If I were buying a brand new flash tuner today I would probably look into the XCal 2, however if you don't mind used merchandise Diablo Predators can be found for $250 and up. Both will datalog and read/clear trouble codes. If you are going to use the pre-loaded tune(s) that come with the units I have personal experience only with the Diablo Predator and the Superchips Max Microtuner and both are good. The Diablo Predator (and the XCal 2) allow the user to adjust more performance parameters on the pre-loaded tune(s) than the Superchips Max Microtuner.

I have an Xcal2 and while it is good I think I may get rid of it and just go with a switch chip. Changing the tune on the fly is much better than having to flash the computer each time you want to change a tune.

The only two downsides to a chip versus a flash tuner is that a chip can not datalog and it will void a warranty for those who still have one. The ability to switch tunes on the fly is a good point in favor of a chip, however a car used as a daily driver like mine doesn't need that capability, at least not yet.

i got mine and felt abit of a difference with the diablo tune. im happy, however, the real reason i got it is for my future 4.10 install.

what happens when i shut off my O2 sensor?

An SCT handheld from a good SCT dealer and you are set. Out of the box, I have found, SCT to be better especially with the new 05 Mustang, maybe the Cobra's was the odd man out.

They are pretty much identical products except the SCT xcal2 has 2 analog (or something like that) inputs that you can plug external attachments into. Attachments include stuff like a wide band 02 sensors. That is a huge advantage. I, myself, have a Fox body Mustang but I just bought a lightning and came in here with the same basic questions as everybody else. The only thing that stands out is the display on the Predator- it's 100x better. But as far as functionality the SCT has the extra capability.