Happy Birthday to ME: HERE IS MY PRESENT:

94YellowStang said:
Its actually 400SF per ton and yes the new 13 seer and up units are alot bigger than the 10 seers they need more coil space. I work for a commercial a/c company, we do residential also but this new seer rating has cost a lot of people $1000's. You cant find any 10seer coils anymore and if you do your lucky. If you have a leak in the coil at your air handler your gonna have to replace the whole air unit(condensor and air handler).

Happy Birthday -Enjoy your 17seer unit!
My old coil fins were SO clogged..they were crap...The new ones are like double the size...the handler barely fit vertically.

Thanks all for the BDAY wishes...I slept GREAT last night :nice:
RC

• Sponsors (?)

I have the Trane XR12 4.5 ton 15 SEER unit outside. Also have the 4.5 handler inside the garage. I had to replace mine last year. The owner of the company I work for had a 2500 sq. ft. house in the Keys. He leveled it and built a mansion. Before they destroyed the house I went down there and yanked the handler out of it. It was only 6 months old (Freebie).

VibrantRedGT said:
I have the Trane XR12 4.5 ton 15 SEER unit outside. Also have the 4.5 handler inside the garage. I had to replace mine last year. The owner of the company I work for had a 2500 sq. ft. house in the Keys. He leveled it and built a mansion. Before they destroyed the house I went down there and yanked the handler out of it. It was only 6 months old (Freebie).
See any benefits with the electric bill this year?
RC

back from the dead!

my a/c froze up today, and the guy just left. the compressor was made in 1970, and it has 5 leaks in different spots on the outside coils. the inside coils have more leaks too.

$3500 for a new one, SEER 13. it's gonna be a ducane

and my birthday is one week from today ...

ugh

Chris, if the coil itself is leaking [if you had to] you can take it apart and try to fix it. It's labor intensive but might be cheaper. I need to have it done on the unit for the main part of the house. I won't do it myself (gonna need an evac, opening, vac and recharge anyhow).

FWIW, if you remove the filter, does the coil take longer to freeze? Too little air flow (restrictive air filter) will prematurely ice the coil. The greater the temp delta and/or humidity, the worse it is too.

Anyhow, that sounds like a nice way to go (I would if I wasn't poor - new is so much better than working on the old crap).
Good luck with it.

this one is a 13 SEER
HAPPY EARLY BIRTHDAY is your car done yet. lol
yeah, i get it either tuesday or wednesday :banana:
Chris, if the coil itself is leaking [if you had to] you can take it apart and try to fix it. It's labor intensive but might be cheaper. I need to have it done on the unit for the main part of the house. I won't do it myself (gonna need an evac, opening, vac and recharge anyhow).

FWIW, if you remove the filter, does the coil take longer to freeze? Too little air flow (restrictive air filter) will prematurely ice the coil. The greater the temp delta and/or humidity, the worse it is too.

Anyhow, that sounds like a nice way to go (I would if I wasn't poor - new is so much better than working on the old crap).
Good luck with it.
even though it might be fixable, the thing is so old that i'd prefer to just get new one so i don't have to worry about it for a long time. 37 years seems like a really long time for a compressor to live

the new one has a parts and labor warranty for 5 years.