Hardcore Track Launching

Funanin

Founding Member
Nov 26, 2001
Horsham, Pennsylvania
I am just finishing up my motor and should be pushing 300+rwhp (i hope) and around 400 rwtq. With that kind of tq I am wondering if I will be able to do a hardcore launch (from the limiter at 6k) and not break the tires loose. When you do that sort of launch where you hit the limiter, do you just hold the gas at the level where it hits the limiter, then launch and hold it there until u see there is no wheel spin then punch it or do you just punch it all the way from the start, then just launch and whatever happens, :shrug: happens?

• Sponsors (?)

No offense but 300rwhp and 400tq do not go together on a 302. :shrug: I would think 6000 is way to high to launch unless you're running slicks. And then I hope you have 31 splines otherwise you're asking for a real messy rear-end.

Why would you want to launch on the limiter? And if you're refering to the factory limiter, isn't that a fuel shut off?
I know last year with my Factory Stock E7 headed motor I could only launch around 3400-3800 on BFG drag radials. Any higher and I blew the tires off. But it was good enough for 1.6's 60ft's and 12.0's@113. Except when I used the M/T drag radials. Then I launched at 5500. :)
You will have to work the suspension and then find the sweet spot. Not to mention if you're using slicks or street type tires.

well about the high tq rating its because im using the E-cam and the GT40 intake with 2 spacers because it wont clear my valve covers. So the extra long runners im guessing are going to give me more tq than i need, but oh well, I'll figure out some way to turn it into hp with tuning.

I am using the nitto 555R drag radials right now but might step up to slicks if i cant get any traction. My suspension is BRAND NEW, not 1 mile on it, so im hoping I can stick a little better than before I did the motor, I also have a little more power now too tho so I guess we'll see.

Oh yea, stock rev limiter is fuel cut off but i am all MSD setup.

CManT1914 said:
:drool: :hail2: Friggin awesome!

I'd say Ed Curtis at FTI did a pretty good job on my old motor. Not bad for no port work. :)

I usually run between 11.5 and 12.5 in my BFG's. Since I switched to an AOD, I've been upping the pressure until it spins. Haven't got there yet. LOL But on the transbrake at 5100, it still doesn't spin. Of course now it's just a junk yard motor with GT40's.

Funanin said:
well about the high tq rating its because im using the E-cam and the GT40 intake with 2 spacers because it wont clear my valve covers. So the extra long runners im guessing are going to give me more tq than i need, but oh well, I'll figure out some way to turn it into hp with tuning.

I am using the nitto 555R drag radials right now but might step up to slicks if i cant get any traction. My suspension is BRAND NEW, not 1 mile on it, so im hoping I can stick a little better than before I did the motor, I also have a little more power now too tho so I guess we'll see.

Oh yea, stock rev limiter is fuel cut off but i am all MSD setup.

No offense, but with that amount of torque, those Nitto's won't hold squat. :)
I'd recomend the M/T DR if you're serious about hooking. Althought the BFG's work pretty good too.

You are not going to be able to launch that high unless you are running slicks.

I would not run slicks unless you beef up the axles and rear as mentioned.

Also if you are running the combo in your signature then you will not be making 400 rwtq. More in the lines of around 320 ish.

Having two rev-limiter such as with a MSD 2-step is the way to go with that. You find what RPM you launch best and then set the other rev limiter to that, and when you launch you let off to the other rev limiter. The stock rev limiter is not a good rev limiter because it cuts off fuel. It shuts down fuel instead of spark to protect the cats, but if you have no cats then it is just bad on the motor.

6000rpm launches won't be possible unless you have some full slicks and even then, I don't know. Your probally going to need aftermarket controll arms to add to that and even then your going to blow out the torque boxes, not to mention even the durrable 8.8 is going to be put through hell.

glenn95gt said:
that is normal for the mustangs, do you have an air bag in the right rear spring?

No air bag. But an after market anti-roll bar. Not a sway bar. LOL Car launched good and straight last year with the 5 speed. Went to an auto and now I'm getting this. Set the anti-roll bar as suggested.
Wish I could find my pic from last year.

StangFireman said:
CMan,
My E7 headed motor made 285hp and 348ft lbs of torque. Don't see why someone couldn't make a little more. :)

I think he was saying that with 400rwtq he would exceed 300rwhp. I think the number are skewed a little bit. If it hits 400 TQ and only 300HP then it is definately restricted by something up top!