Has anyone used Fat Mat? Have questions...

TNWhite96GT

Founding Member
Sep 20, 2001
Memphis,TN
I am in the process this week of changing out my interior,Its totally stripped out...I got seats out of a 2001GT and new carpet/mats... I also have 100 sq ft of Fat Mat, and will be putting in that tomorrow.
I opened the box of Fat Mat and this stuff smells like a tar roof of a building :shrug: I know its cheaper but I can see at least one difference in this and Dynamat right off the bat. I used a door speaker kit of the dynamat and it had no odor. Can anyone that has used Fat Mat before tell me how long this stuff will smell? will it completely go away? Im afraid to put my carpet/mats/seats in immediately after I install the FatMat because they are very clean and I dont want them absorbing this smell.....
:OT: I havent attempted to put these new seats in either, I hope they fit. Anyone out there ever swapped 99+seats into a 96-98 GT?....
Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

TNWhite96GT said:
I am in the process this week of changing out my interior,Its totally stripped out...I got seats out of a 2001GT and new carpet/mats... I also have 100 sq ft of Fat Mat, and will be putting in that tomorrow.
I opened the box of Fat Mat and this stuff smells like a tar roof of a building :shrug: I know its cheaper but I can see at least one difference in this and Dynamat right off the bat. I used a door speaker kit of the dynamat and it had no odor. Can anyone that has used Fat Mat before tell me how long this stuff will smell? will it completely go away? Im afraid to put my carpet/mats/seats in immediately after I install the FatMat because they are very clean and I dont want them absorbing this smell.....
:OT: I havent attempted to put these new seats in either, I hope they fit. Anyone out there ever swapped 99+seats into a 96-98 GT?....
Thanks

I hope this helps....

Fat Mat
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is the initial Review for Fat Mat.

link: Fat Mat

On 2/16/03 I placed an order for a sample of Fat Mat. I also sent along an e-mail about who I am and that I intended on giving a product review at this board.

Today I just(3/3/03) received my sampler box of Fat Mat sound deadining solutions. So as you can see there is just a bit of processing time, which is cool.

As soon as I got the box I can smell a slight odor, nothing serious and very very slight. Since I work(ed) in a machine shop I can smell funny stuff like this and pick up on it immediately. Its been sitting next to my computer desk now for about 2 weeks. I cant smell it anymore. SO this will give you an idea on the smell.

In a reply I received from Fat Mat people they person said they would send me the sample of Fat Mat, Rattle Trap and their liquid version. I got one piece about 24" square of some thin stuff, which I believe is the Fat Mat, a piece of about 12" square of some definetly thicker stuff, which I believe is Rattle Trap. Then I got an unmarked little pint sized paint can, which evidently is the liquid stuff.

Fat Mat measures in at .045" While the Rattle Trap measures in at a more impressive .065". I will also note that the Rattle Trap seems to use a better adhesive.

I haven't touched the Liquid stuff yet and wont until its at least 60 degrees out.

This is just the initial preview.

I will have to devise some sort of test to accommodate the material I got.
Ryan
[email protected]
Car Audio Central- message board

And here is the link I found it at
http://pub14.ezboard.com/fcaraudiotalkfrm32.showMessage?topicID=1.topic

Update

Well, the first day of install went well. I only had a few hours to work on it since it gets dark so damn early now. But, I can tell you a few things. The smell I encountered was not as bad as originally thought. After you take the roll out of the box and peel it away from the paper I would say that 80% of the smell is gone right away. It should be gone completely before too long. Another thing, this stuff goes on just as good as dynamat. I used Dynamat extreme and FatMat seems to be just as thick.Mabye a little thinner, but hey, for the price you can double this stuff up and still be at less than half the price per sq ft. Bottom line Dynamat is a rip off in my opinion after using FatMat today.
All I got done so far is one layer on the doors and a layer throughout the trunk. This took one roll of 33ft by 18"...I still have a whole roll left,. and I am going to put double layer on the floor and one more layer on the doors.
YO: if anyone hates the sound of that whining fuel pump....I put just ONE layer of Fatmat on the trunk floor and I can barely hear that thing anymore :nice: , and I dont even have the back seat in yet!!.....this alone was worth the money for me, as that fuel pump was so loud I had to turn the radio up to drown it out...
thumbs up all the way so far, will update again tomorrow...

Done

got everything finished.The fatmat went in fine, fortunately it was 70-75 for the last 4 days...it works better when warm, and gets stiffer in cooler temps. Get s good roller, the free one is junk unless you are doing 20 sq ft or less...the 2000 Mustang seats also went in fine, the only problem being the power connector for the driver side, but thats another thread. I was only able to cover the whole floor of the car with the remaining fatmat once, but I did get 2 layers under the floormat area. I have noticed a big difference in the sound quality. It would be a good idea to double the thickness if possible.this is not completely necessary, but this IS a mustang... I really need a subwoofer and an amp, possibly to push more power to the 4 speakers...All I have are 4 infinity's and an alpine head unit.When I crank it up far I get distortion. I 'assume' :shrug: its because of low power/and its trying to use those small speakers for bass...as soon as I get a subwoofer I can turn down the basss to the other 4 speakers and turn it up good then...
I also used some "great stuff" behind the door panels...there is a good type in a blue can that dries flexible, and doesnt KEEP expanding out of control like the original kind...this stuff dries very spongy.
F this F'n fuel pump...It HAS to be going bad or something. It whines so loud, I wanna shoot it through the spare tire well with a shotgun :mad:
My car has 200K miles, It hasnt been replaced that I know of.some people say they all whine, but not like this one man....I hear stangs all day that are quiet as a mouse compared to mine in that respect.Thanks!
later

update

fatmat still smells, but manufacturer said 1-2 weeks, its only been 4 days or so since initial install..we'll see....thats gonna be the true test. so far works just like dynamat as far as sound damping so who knows...mabye there's our price difference folks...lets hope not anyway. Im sure glad its not june-september or I would surely be dead from some type of toxic fumes. Bumps are alot more muffled on impact, and you cant hear the ole rustangs squeaky serpentine belt as much or the ole exhaust rattle or the ole whatever the hell else rattles on these things..Is it possible to donate our cars to some movie demolition crew for like 100 bucks or something, enough cab fare to the nearest ford dealership, where I could sign my soul over to the devil for a 2000 Cobra R1 :hail2: one can only wish right?..

"you get what you pay for" sounds like bull*****, but it alays seems to hold true doesnt it?
later

hmmmmmmmmm

well folks, i dont know what to say except im dead lucky I didnt install this stuff in the summer time in Memphis TN, or I would without a doubt be dead from the smell this stuff would put out in a 100 degree car (Its 35-50 here now)...a few weeks ago after my last post, I got an air freshener...I thought it (Fatmat) would be done smelling by the time the freshener died. nope, still smell that *****. Oh well...just like I said, get what you pay for (This crap is basically roll it on asphalt). I dont know if or when it will ever go away "completely", mabye just enough so it is tolerable to some...SO, in conclusion, as far as I can tell, this stuff was 'pretty much' worth it...NOW, does it matter in my 96 Mustang with 200,000 miles on it,no, but I would definitely NOT put this stuff in my any brand new car, for that there is a considerably more expensive but well worth it alternative , its called DYNAMAT....there really is none better. I pulled a chunk off my speaker area where I installed their door kit, and it has no odor whatsoever,,,so theres where the money goes, they suck the smell out of that ***** somehow-----
"you get what you pay for"
Out

Thanks for the info.. I was strongly considering buying the 100sq feet of this stuff but was kinda worried about the smell as well (hoping it would disappear if i left it rolled out in a room for 2-3 weeks).. but maybe I'll go in another direction for my 99 GT.

yeah, I was thinking about it some more today...it doesnt smell terrible or anything, its just there...and although they claim the stuffs odor goes away in about 2-3 weeks...there is no "guarantee" printed on anything...like I said before, this stuff is basically rolled on rubber asphalt with aluminum on one side..it did work as a great insulator though...no more excessive heat coming from the console area, I cant wait til the summertime and see how much cooler the car will get...

from what I understand, all other dynamat products have some type of "odor" or other drawback to them. I guess it costs alot to produce a product designed exactly for car audio sound deadening, which is where the added cost comes in. I guarantee this fatmat is something that has another purpose in another industry and it just happens to work about the same... BUT---- dont get me wrong, Dynamat is still a horrible ripoff...I mean, its about $5 a sq ft, fatmat and others are about $1 a sq ft...big price difference...and almost as good...
I cant believe since its inception, no one has come out with a product EXACTLY like Dynamat for half the cost. You would still make a fortune...they have that crap marked up 1000% minimum from production cost to retail cost...

in conclusion, Fatmat Okay, but not perfect,
Dynamat, well F you Dynamat...
later

Brown bread is an alternative!

I installed 70 sq feet of brown bread in my 2001 GT about a month ago!

It smelled for about a week or two, and now the smell is totally gone!

The 70 Sq feet wasn't enough to do what i wanted to do, so i started looking for some other (possibly cheaper) stuff to finish the job with.
I thought about bying fat mat cause it's definitelly cheaper the brown bread, but after reading this I'm going back to Good Ole Brown Bread.

I would recomend it to everyone, only dont buy it of their (www.B-quiet.com)
website. It's $169 for one 70 sqft roll, $159 if you buy more then one.

They sell it themselves on E-bay for $129 (70 sqft roll).

You will definitelly need 2 rolls, if you're trying to cover the whole floor, incl. trunk area, all sides, and doors. You should also double up in critical areas,
since they say second layer improves sound deadening by factor 3 over only one layer.

Brown bread Kicks Ass.