Head, cam and Intake question

blackstallion89

Aug 18, 2007
I have a stock bottom end motor with a b-303 cam with nitrous etc... Im looking to build a mid 400 horsepower street car. Im wanting to use a trick flow track heat intake (1500-6500 RPM) But I cant decide a head and cam combo. I'd like to use afr heads honestly from what Ive seen at the track on other cars these really perform well. I'd like to hear any suggestions. But I'd like to do this without modifing the actual shortblock itself. Thanks again

• Sponsors (?)

Mid 400HP, you're going to need nitrous or forced induction to get there with the parts you're listing. Any of the parts you listed plus a (take your pick of brand) supercharger will get you there and still be reliable if tuned properly. AFR 165's, Twisted Wedges, Edelbrock Performers, etc should all work just fine.

AFR 165's, Trickflow TW/Street Heats (if you want the smog provisions), or Edelbrock can be good bolt-ons.

The Trickflow allows you to run a 2.02" intake valve, while the other offerings may require you to use some clearancing, if you were to get a 2.02" valve in an AFR 165 or an Edelbrock Performer with a 2.02" valve.

The AFR 165's are nice, and have a 1.9" valve, as compared to the AFR 185's that have a 2.02" valve.

As stated, you would need nitrous or a supercharger/turbo combination in conjunction with your h/c/i swap. You typically will only see about 350 hp at the engine with a h/c/i swap. You can get aggressive and get near 400hp, but it takes more $.

A nice stroker can get you 400-430 horsepower at the crank, fairly easily. But that cost even more $.

I would go with a custom cam personally.