headgasket replced..wont start.plz help.

89shadetree

Apr 10, 2004
el paso
!st post, ireally need help. replaced head gasket on my 89 lx(stock 2.3), now she wont start. turns over, but nothing. checked plugs, distributor,everything is back together.
i totally skipped the step in the manual about the 30 degrress from the 6 o'clock on the camshaft...any ideas what kinda mess i've gotten myself into? Cranked it over about 20 times untill i read the "missed" step. Damage?
Pull it apart and start over? Timing? Fuel lines were disconnected( fuel pressure?)

totally lost and greatly appreciate any help.
thanks in advance
jeff

• Sponsors (?)

Crovax said:
It's just your timing. Get your belt all set up and then use a timing light and turn your distributor to get it started.
I AGREE!

check out this link to stingers site:
http://projecthp.ford23.com/tech.html
about 1/4 page down there is a write up on changing the timing belt/setting base timing... and a pic of what all needs to be lined up to get you going. just get the cam and crank pullies lined up with the marks, make sure the distributor is pointed to the wire connected to cyl #1 and that the rest of your wires hooked up in the proper firing order (1-3-4-2 if i remember correctly) and you should have no problem, then set with a light like cro said.

Good thing you own a 2.3 non-interferene motor! When you setup your timing belt make sure you have it very taunt and the tentioner working ... i usualy leave the timing cover off, so when i start it i can see if it tries to skip any teeth on the camshaft sprocket. Good luck! :nice:

thanks woodster, i wish i had some of that riverside or fontana sunshine. haven't had a chance to get at it because of the rain, going out of town monday, so it may have to wait a week or so. i'll get back and let you guys know.

thanks again for all the help, people on this site seem truely genuine.

jeff