Headlights Turning off at Random - Easy Fix?

Treachery

Founding Member
Jun 9, 2002
My 93 GT is suffering the "headlights turning off at random" syndrome due to the poor wiring from Ford. I didn't really mind it until i had to drive in heavy rain at night (no choice). The lights turned off more than once and i almost caused an accident.

Is there an easy fix for this? I did a search on another message board and from what i read, i have to practrically rewire everything.

• Sponsors (?)

this is usually caused by your headlight relay switch. Mine did the same exact thing, but only when I was using BOTH the headlights and the foglights... So, if you just want the lgihts to stay on aviod using the fog lights and u should be fine. Other than that, you need to replace the headlight and foglight switch on ur dash cluster. Its realitively cheap and takes all of 5 minutes to do.

I did not have to rewire anything... just replace the headlight relay switch and you should be set man.

The lights in stock form dont have a relay. Adding a relay to fogs is the conventional fix (to unburden the headlight circuit, from which the fogs are powered).

The headlight switch has an integral thermal protection switch - just like your hairdryer does. That is why the lights can shut off and then magically come back.

It is a very simple rewire.

Good luck.