Headswap Labor Costs?

Do you realize how much money $1200 is? I'm only 17 and I can't afford $2500 for parts and labor... That'd be working an entire Summer to pay a mechanic for 1 day of work, what BS is that. I work just as hard.

My cousin is a chevy pushrod guy, but we're going to figure this out and do it!

• Sponsors (?)

Acer2428 said:
Do you realize how much money $1200 is? I'm only 17 and I can't afford $2500 for parts and labor... That'd be working an entire Summer to pay a mechanic for 1 day of work, what BS is that. I work just as hard.

the 2100 was just labor...no parts... I'm talking to a local guy on friday who I was told has done some 4.6 work. I'm gonna see what he says. If its still too high I will have to wait until next spring when I have vacation and drive to colorado for help.

SR 97 GT said:
Well since I had the cams and heads installed at the same time I don't know how much they made over the just the headswap. I did have it dyno tuned for $500 and she made 234 RWHP through my automatic but there were problems getting fuel so those numbers are low. I am going back in to have it re-tuned and hope to be somewhere around 250+.
I guess that would be about right assuming the cams would give you about 15hp at the fly. I would have expected the swap alone to get 47rwhp(55fly) and 60rwhp (70fly) combined w/ the cams. Stock is about 190 rwhp so that would be 250 but I would expect at least 20 more with the tune. What kind of bolt ons do you have? Exhaust?

Acer2428 said:

If you think it is BS, try doing it yourself, make a mistake, and then buy another motor and start over again. It's happened before and will happen again. I have worked on cars as a hobby for years and it can be costly if you don't set those cams right. Do everything you can yourself then see about having a professional or experienced mechanic check the cam install.

stimmler said:
Speaking of fed EX and :OT: I know but when bought my SS inserts from Pro3i (Partshopper) they delivered them to the wrong house and didn't even try to get a signature. I found out that they were delivered by the tracking number that night and had to go door to door at midnight in the rain. GO FED EX.

The package I shipped never left the hub I dropped it off at. So you know someone who works there stole it. Also, the agent "conveniently" forgot to enter the insurance info, so I got screwed. cost me $250 :nonono: They, well, you know... :bang:

stimmler said:
I guess that would be about right assuming the cams would give you about 15hp at the fly. I would have expected the swap alone to get 47rwhp(55fly) and 60rwhp (70fly) combined w/ the cams. Stock is about 190 rwhp so that would be 250 but I would expect at least 20 more with the tune. What kind of bolt ons do you have? Exhaust?
Just about every bolt on in the book...flowmaster catback, x pipe w/ cats, u/d pullies, c&l plenum, 75mm throttle body, and a k&n fipk. Those mods got me 191 RWHP prior to the swap. Since the headswap I've added a adjustable fuel pressure regulator and pro-m 87mm MAF.

I just got my 96GT back yesterday from the Ford dealer that did my headswap. It cost me $2200 CDN, thats about $1600 US that included the install of Mac Longtubes and a Prochamber. All mechanics have the same rate "manual". I checked it out and just for the head swap it was 13 hours labor. Every place I phoned quoted me the 13 hours. So 13 hours at $75/hour your looking at $975. Do you have all of the parts you need? Gaskets, studs, alternator bracket, bolts? If not that will cost you also. That cost me an extra $250 CDN plus they will charge you for new oil, antifreeze, filter. They will also have to have your new intake manifold tapped for another sensor. You 96-98 has two sensor's in the intake manifold, the new PI one only has one hole, they don't have the manual speed sensors that our cars have. The new ones are controlled by the PCM. It's the nickel and dime stuff that hurts. I was in the same boat, working sixteen hour days and the guy who was going to help me do it went on holidays for the next month. I just bought the bullet and had it done right. You will not be disappointed. Mine flies now. Shop around, $2200 sounds real high just for the head swap and no parts.

Local shop that I am going with estimated about $1200 + $450 for SCT dynotune and chip. Much better. I thought that was closer to my expectations. Still trying to figure out what cams to get for my AFM stage 2 heads.