Headswap Questions

DiabloRojoStang

Founding Member
Aug 9, 2001
Maryland
I'm planning on doing a headswap on my 97 GT. I was thinking 2001 heads. What else should I do? Is it worth getting a bullitt intake or just going with a 2001 intake? What cams? What kind of power increases could I be looking at? I know this is a broad question but any help would be appreciated

• Sponsors (?)

Try posting this in the Modular Forum, but I know the heads alone un-ported are worth 25-35 HP. You will need to switch to a 1999-up intake, regular plastic stockers are cheap (around $125 bucks). Look for a whole headswap kit w/ intake, it's a lot cheaper, and comes with all the bolts, gaskets, oil fill tubes, and ancillary items needed for the swap.

The Bullitt is expensive for a N/A setup and the cost-to-power isn't really justified unless S/C'ed.

Have fun!

DiabloRojoStang said:
I'm planning on doing a headswap on my 97 GT. I was thinking 2001 heads. What else should I do? Is it worth getting a bullitt intake or just going with a 2001 intake? What cams? What kind of power increases could I be looking at? I know this is a broad question but any help would be appreciated

If I was swapping heads, I'd go for the 03 Mach 1/Cobra set with Mach cams and intake. The 03 heads flow both more air and more coolant.