Heat and A/C problems

stroked50

Jul 16, 2005
Hi everyone,

I have to problems I was hoping to get info on., The first is that no matter what position you put the dial selector on, on the heating controls, I only get air from the defrost and floor vents. I apologize for the second being a repeat, but I still haven't resolved the problem. This is a car I just bought and the A/C compressor wires seem to be missing. It's a 2 wire plug and I can't seem to find it anywhere. I tried tracing all the A/C wiring back to the WOT relay, but no luck. Could anyone tell me where the harness from the compressor leads back to?

Thanks for any info.

Rich

• Sponsors (?)

Your first problems sounds like either a disconnected vac line (up against the firewall or under the dash) or a bad vaccum actuator (also under the dash). As for the wires... I'd have to lok back through the wiring diagram to tell you where they go back to. If someone hasn't come along and answered the question for you already, I'll get back to you on that.

Thanks Daggar. The vacuum lines all appear to be hooked up, so I will look into the actuator. Any more info on the ac wiring would be greatly appreciated. I tried to follow it on the wiring schematics but they didn't really help.

Thanks again.

The Black/Yellow wire goes through a connector straight back to the WOT cutoff relay... The black/lgt green wire is ground. It's tied into a lot of other ground terminals but essentially, goes to ground.

So basically... if you can't figure out where the wire got lost too, you can splice off of the black/yellow at the WOT relay and run it to the inboard post of the ac compressor then ground the other terminal and all should work as advertised. The pressure switch feeds the WOT relay and up the line so the relay is the last connection (aside from the connector that I mentioned above) before the A/C clutch solenoid.

That hose on the firewall, even though it is hooked up and appears to have no cracks, is the first place I would check. I took mine off and it looked perfectly fine. On a whim I put a piece of scrap tubing I had in the garage on there and it fixed my vents.

trents99 said:
That hose on the firewall, even though it is hooked up and appears to have no cracks, is the first place I would check. I took mine off and it looked perfectly fine. On a whim I put a piece of scrap tubing I had in the garage on there and it fixed my vents.

Yes sir... they are the very skinny ones that run here and there and the ones from the tree, along the firewall, and over to the passenger side of the car are notorious for being broken and looking ok. Take hold of them and wiggle them around a bit. If they feel brittle or snap, just replace them with 1/4 in vac hose and use a small piece of the original line to stuff up inside of the new 1/4 inch line at each end to act as an orifice.

stroked50 said:
Hi everyone,

I have to problems I was hoping to get info on., The first is that no matter what position you put the dial selector on, on the heating controls, I only get air from the defrost and floor vents. I apologize for the second being a repeat, but I still haven't resolved the problem. This is a car I just bought and the A/C compressor wires seem to be missing. It's a 2 wire plug and I can't seem to find it anywhere. I tried tracing all the A/C wiring back to the WOT relay, but no luck. Could anyone tell me where the harness from the compressor leads back to?

Thanks for any info.

Rich

Your first problem to me sounds like a broken dial.

Thanks for the info everyone gave me. I will tie into the black and yellow( I remember seeing it go into a connector and appeared to terminate there), and the ground on the other side. I'm going to check the vac hoses for the blower. Hopefully they are cracked as everyone mentioned.

Thanks again.

Thanks jrichker,

I did follow the black w/yellow to a plug in that area, and it appeared to be terminated there, so I ran my own wire and tied it in. Evidently a previous owner did some mixing and matching of parts.

Thanks again