Heater Core bypass

• Sponsors (?)

just make a U-bend back there at the end of the coolant tubes that run on top of the intake manifold, it would be pretty easy to do once you know how the coolant is routed thru the firewall, I'm gonna do that if/when my heater core goes out. Too much of a pain in the ass to tear the dash out and all that.

vikingpower said:
just make a U-bend back there at the end of the coolant tubes that run on top of the intake manifold, it would be pretty easy to do once you know how the coolant is routed thru the firewall, I'm gonna do that if/when my heater core goes out. Too much of a pain in the ass to tear the dash out and all that.
That won't work, they are 2 different size hoses, 5/8 and 3/4. Its better to unhook both the lines from the heater core at the firewall and splice them together. Its a 5/8 to 3/4 fitting at any parts store.

Reactions: 1 user
bubba-dough said:
That won't work, they are 2 different size hoses, 5/8 and 3/4. Its better to unhook both the lines from the heater core at the firewall and splice them together. Its a 5/8 to 3/4 fitting at any parts store.

False... take the smaller hose and force it on. It fits. I promise. Did it on the side of the road with a pair of pliers and nothing else. Been like that for a year and a half and 3 motors later...

Yes, an adapter is better, but can be done without it.

jstang209 said:
or at any local parts store look in the HELP section.. they have bypass caps.. all kinda sizes.. just slap them on with a clamp.. thats what i did

This method will work but I have seen it cuase overheating problems because the coolant isnt making full circuit. Once again I wouldnt consider this a permanant fix. Personally, I took the time to put a new heater core in. It was a good experience and they have a great write up on the MM & FF website.

This method will work but I have seen it cuase overheating problems because the coolant isnt making full circuit. Once again I wouldnt consider this a permanant fix. Personally, I took the time to put a new heater core in. It was a good experience and they have a great write up on the MM & FF website.

If you bypass it at the intake would the coolant still make a full circuit?

When I got my car my heater core was bypassed. The way they did it was really ghetto, but hey, it worked lol. They used a u bend piece of what looked like a kitchen faucet pipe or something.. Idk all it was a metal pipe with a u bend to it that the 2 rubber hoses that go to the heater core were clamped to this instead. Worked with no leaks and no overheat problems, but I fixed the heater core so now I don't have to worry about that :nice:

When I got my car my heater core was bypassed. The way they did it was really ghetto, but hey, it worked lol. They used a u bend piece of what looked like a kitchen faucet pipe or something.. Idk all it was a metal pipe with a u bend to it that the 2 rubber hoses that go to the heater core were clamped to this instead. Worked with no leaks and no overheat problems, but I fixed the heater core so now I don't have to worry about that :nice:

Good point I will post up tomm after I bypass it. Thanks again.....

I just put a copper pipe with two elbows retained and the hoses no leaks I did the heater core once before but it went again so I bought a new heater core a year ago and stilll haven't put it in lol

Im not sure i bypasssed it the same day it broke I took my car to like 5000rpms and my passanger screamed something burned her lol i was like ahhh my heater core and when it broke the second time i was taking off one of the hoses and the copper pipe just came with it

Capping off your heater core has no affect on your car overheating. It would be best to eliminate the coolant bar all together in my opinion. You will have to pull the upper intake off to do so but will end up with a much better, cleaner and safer result!

Capping off your heater core has no affect on your car overheating. It would be best to eliminate the coolant bar all together in my opinion. You will have to pull the upper intake off to do so but will end up with a much better, cleaner and safer result!

just dropped in my new motor and was planning on leaving the coolant bar off .. would it hurt anything to just plug the front of the intake mani and the bottom line on the pump or should you run the line from the pump and to maybe a 90 at the front of the lower intake??