Hello from the new guy!

chrissarine

May 3, 2007
Hello all, I'm Chris, from Summerville, SC. I'm glad I found this site, because just from browsing through, it seems like there are a lot of knowledgeable folks on here who don't mind giving away free info!

I have a '68 coupe (Acapulco Blue, I think) 289, automatic, Black vinyl top, black interior. I have already gutted the inside, and redone the interior.

I'd like to upgrade all around to power disc brakes, upgrade to power R&P steering, get the A/C working, (it HAD factory A/C), and of course a million other small things - in due time!

I've been reading a lot of magazines and websites, but any advice and info from other Classic Mustang enthusiasts will be very welcome and very appreciated.

I'll put some pictures up when I figure out how to do it!

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks for the replies. I do have a bunch of catalogues already, and I've ordered a ton of stuff for the interior from NPD, Procar Rally seats and Grant steering wheel from K.A.R., Torque Thrust II (x5) from Wheelsforless.com, etc. etc....

My next project is going to be the old Drum to Disc conversion. I've seen a lot of articles about the SSBC kits. That seems to be what a lot of people are using, and the articles make it look relatively easy to install.

Anybody have any experience on these kits? Or opinions on other kits? What's the best way to go on this project?

One other question to throw out while I'm on here, Where's the best place to get glass? Front and back windshields in particular....I also saw somewhere that someone is going to be making door glass that deletes the vent windows.....that's a really cool idea, but I kinda like the little old vent windows.....

Thanks!

Chris

My next project is going to be the old Drum to Disc conversion. I've seen a lot of articles about the SSBC kits. That seems to be what a lot of people are using, and the articles make it look relatively easy to install.

Anybody have any experience on these kits? Or opinions on other kits? What's the best way to go on this project?

Ask and you shall receive:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2161687

Did the SSBC front disc conversion last year and am very happy with the performance and quality of the kit. I went from 4 wheel manual drum brakes to power front disc with drums still out back. Really don't see a need to change the rears other than cosmetic to match the front, not worth it IMO.

Welcome to Stangnet, get some pics of your car posted up!

Ask and you shall receive:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2161687

Did the SSBC front disc conversion last year and am very happy with the performance and quality of the kit. I went from 4 wheel manual drum brakes to power front disc with drums still out back. Really don't see a need to change the rears other than cosmetic to match the front, not worth it IMO.

Welcome to Stangnet, get some pics of your car posted up!

Hey Adam, Do you recall if the rod within your power booster to the MC is adjustable or not. I have a very similar set up and feel my rod is too short as I bottom out my footpedal before the brakes lock up and it "worries" me.

Thanks.

...and feel my rod is too short...
Thanks.

Door is wide open, but I won't take the shot :jester:

Seriously though, yes the rod between the MC and booster is adjustable. There are some specifics on how to adjust these in a thread somewhere in this forum (doo a search) as well as in the service manual for our cars. You have to be careful that the rod is not too long, otherwise the calipers will not disengage properly.

Originally Posted by geostang351
...and feel my rod is too short...
Thanks.
Door is wide open, but I won't take the shot :jester:
That's messed up!!

Seriously though, yes the rod between the MC and booster is adjustable. There are some specifics on how to adjust these in a thread somewhere in this forum (doo a search) as well as in the service manual for our cars. You have to be careful that the rod is not too long, otherwise the calipers will not disengage properly.
My power booster is from a 78 Granada so I assume that I'll have to check the spec's on that. Thanks. :D

Hello all, I'm Chris, from Summerville, SC. I'm glad I found this site, because just from browsing through, it seems like there are a lot of knowledgeable folks on here who don't mind giving away free info!

I have a '68 coupe (Acapulco Blue, I think) 289, automatic, Black vinyl top, black interior. I have already gutted the inside, and redone the interior.

I'd like to upgrade all around to power disc brakes, upgrade to power R&P steering, get the A/C working, (it HAD factory A/C), and of course a million other small things - in due time!

I've been reading a lot of magazines and websites, but any advice and info from other Classic Mustang enthusiasts will be very welcome and very appreciated.

I'll put some pictures up when I figure out how to do it!

Welcome neighbor!

HistoricMustang
www.historicmustang.com

Thanks everyone, for the welcome and the info.

Jcode68, your link will be super helpful. I was thinking about the 347, maybe in my future, with the Mass Flo EFI possibly.....your car looks sweet, (I think our '68s are the same blue, what's yours called?) and your brake install pics are just what I need. I think I will go with the SSBC kit. I can't see any reason not to! Thank you!

HistoricMustang, thanks for the welcome and links. Are you near Charleston, SC?

geostang351, I hope that "short rod" thing works out alright for you!

Chris

Thanks everyone, for the welcome and the info.

Jcode68, your link will be super helpful. I was thinking about the 347, maybe in my future, with the Mass Flo EFI possibly.....your car looks sweet, (I think our '68s are the same blue, what's yours called?) and your brake install pics are just what I need. I think I will go with the SSBC kit. I can't see any reason not to! Thank you!

HistoricMustang, thanks for the welcome and links. Are you near Charleston, SC?

geostang351, I hope that "short rod" thing works out alright for you!

Chris

Augusta! Home of the "Masters" and the "Hephzibah Grand Prix"

HistoricMustang
www.historicmustang.com

Glad my pics were helpful. Color is the original Acapulco (sp?)blue. I have seen others on this board use the Massflo system, looks like a sweet package. It may be something I do in the future. For now, I just want to stop working on the car and enjoy/drive it for a while!

Amen on "stop working on the car and drive it"!

That's exactly how I feel right now, now that I've got my seats and steering wheel in there now! Procar Rally seats are worth every penny, by the way...

Thanks again!

Chris