Help bleeding master cylinder? 2000 v6

RandyBobandy

Jun 18, 2019
PA
just replaced my rotors, pads and rear calipers and I think my master cylinder got some air in it. I have seen some people say you can bleed them with bleeder screws in the master cylinder but mine doesn't seem to have them, is there another way to bleed the master cylinder without taking it out of the car? and do I have to bleed the calipers again?

• Sponsors (?)

It can be very difficult to manually bleed a master cylinder with the cylinder still on the car. Why? Because many master cylinders are not level.

As far are other ways to bleed the master cylinder:
  • using the bleeder adapters loop the output of the master cylinder back into the input. May not work because the master cylinder is not level.
  • use a pressure bleeder. Not a DIY tool.
For the DIY'er it may be your best solution to take the master cylinder off of the car and bench bleed it. Sorry. That is unless you car figure out how to jack one end of the car up enough to level the master cylinder.

This is one reason why I also jam a 2x4 between the seat and the brake pedal partially holding the brake pedal down when I work on my own brakes. This blocks the free flow of fluid and will prevent the master cylinder from running dry.

Last edited: