Help, broken bolt stuck in engine block

Red66GT

Jul 14, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
It's actually the Mounting Equalizer Bar (engine side), threads go into the engine block and that part of the thing snapped in half while I was in traffic the other day. Needless to say, it was pretty hard to get the car in gear.

So I'm going to buy the new part today but I just have 1 problem, the threads from the old part are still in the block, b/c the piece snapped in half...how can I get it out? I was considering hammering a screw driver in it and making an indention so that I can hopefully screw it out, problem is there's so little room under the car, especially w/ the headers...don't know if I can get a hammer in there...anyone have any other ideas how I can get this broken threaded part out of the block???

• Sponsors (?)

Similar to a drill bit but tapered and the flutes are reverse direction. You drill the appropriate size hole in the center of the broken bolt, insert the easy out in the hole and turn it counter clockwise for it to bite into the bolt and hopefully back the bolt out. Make sure it is installed straight and make danged sure you keep it straight as you torque it or it will break. Those things are almost impossible to remove without a machine shop if you break it off. Is there any of the bolt that is protruding from the hole? If so, you might have a couple of other options to try.

1st vote - easy out,
2nd vote - with a dremel or such notch a groove if its out far enough and use flathead to back out
3rd vote - go with first vote

hammer on any thread part is bad unless you dont want to use it again... IMO

If there's enough sticking out (1/2 inch or more), use a stud remover or double-nut it. You for sure want to soak the thing in PB blaster constantly for days as long as you haven't gotten it out yet. If this much is sticking out, be stubborn. If it doesn't want to move, soak it more. Try heat. Do anything to loosen it, but don't break it off flush.

The screwdriver slot thing might work if there's some sticking out but not enough to try steps above. I'd use a dremel tool with a little grinding disc to make the slot, though. Hammering in there... I just don't see that working.

I would try welding a nut on as a next step if that doesn't work.

I've never gotten a bolt out with an EZ out, but it's worth a try, if the welded nut doesn't work. After years of it never working, I still try it because the next step is scary.

When the EZ out doesn't work, continue drilling the hole larger bit by bit until almost all of the old bolt is gone. Then run a tap through the hole - use plenty of lubricant and work it a little at a time. Use compressed air often to keep the chips out of the hole.

I've done this before on a cast iron part (spindle), I think it worked because the cast iron is quite hard. The cast iron is typically harder than the bolt. Since it's a valuable engine block, you may consider having the car towed to a good shop and have them do it. Worst case, if the threads get wrecked you can tap the hole for a helicoil insert and put the helicoil in.

Good luck, and I recommend you use anti seize when you put the new bolt in! :D

It's a miracle...the bolt is out...and I still can't believe how I did it. I just sprayed it down w/ some pb blaster in the hopes of loosening it, and it sure must've loosened it. I had maybe literally 1 mm hanging out of the block as was able to use my bare fingers to turn it out a few more threads! I was praying the whole time. I just can't believe how tight it is to work under there, especially w/ the long tube headers in the way. Anyway, after turning it a little w/ my hands, my nails were literally broken apart I was grabbing so tight, I was able to get a small pair of needle nose pliers on and turn it out more ever so slowly until finally it came out. Already picked up my new parts from NPD earlier today, but unfortunately I wasn't able to finish the job b/c I'm having trouble getting the bracket off the frame (other side of the equalizer bar). Should be able to finish tomorrow, just need some new tools, real small ratchet for my 9/16 socket, or a tiny wrench to work in such a confined space.

I had the same exact thing happen on my 65 and I ended up doing the dremel with tiny cutting discs to notch a groove in the broken bolt and I too was amazed at how easily it unscrewed. I would have been able to unscrew it by fingers but there wasn't enough sticking out so I used a screwdriver in the notch I carved out with the dremel.

Red66GT said:
It's a miracle...the bolt is out...and I still can't believe how I did it. I just sprayed it down w/ some pb blaster in the hopes of loosening it, and it sure must've loosened it. I had maybe literally 1 mm hanging out of the block as was able to use my bare fingers to turn it out a few more threads! I was praying the whole time. I just can't believe how tight it is to work under there, especially w/ the long tube headers in the way. Anyway, after turning it a little w/ my hands, my nails were literally broken apart I was grabbing so tight, I was able to get a small pair of needle nose pliers on and turn it out more ever so slowly until finally it came out. Already picked up my new parts from NPD earlier today, but unfortunately I wasn't able to finish the job b/c I'm having trouble getting the bracket off the frame (other side of the equalizer bar). Should be able to finish tomorrow, just need some new tools, real small ratchet for my 9/16 socket, or a tiny wrench to work in such a confined space.

Go to Vegas, because with the force required to break a bolt off, you have more than average luck.