help finding the best air intake for 03 gt 4.6

nextlevelmp

May 17, 2006
Hey all. I am looking for the best cold air intake kit for performance gains and the best overall product. Any models and/or feedback would be helpful to a noob in the stang world.

So far, I am ordering a mrt stainless H pipe with mrt stainless max thunder. A new 373 gear install and so far, these are definite after comparing reviews, as well as a very helpful email from Scott Hoag of modified mustangs magazine. I have been trying to search for some type of list with ratings for different air intakes for my year and I guess the biggest thing is overall added performance and long lasting life.

I would also be open to any suggestions for any additional performance enhancements that have not been mentioned besides superchargers or turbos or NOS just yet. Thank you all in advance for your opinions :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

First off becareful what magizens tell you to buy. They will tell you to buy a pice of s**t as long as that company will pay them a engough.

I would look into 4.10 gears they will give you a better feel than the 3.73s. As fas as CAI go, none will give you any big gains so you might as well just buy a K&N filter. Other mods to look at would be TB/Plenum and if you want to go crazy heads and cams.

If you do get one make sure it is made out of plastic, metal ones turn into hot air induction kits once they soak up engine heat.

I really didn't notice much of a difference when I installed K&N unit. Perhaps it was a little more willing to rev but there wasn't an appreciable gain in power. Luckily I bought mine used for $80 so it doesn't have to do much for me to get my money's worth out of it.

BTW good call on the MRT stuff, they make a quality product.

If you're willing to spend the money on a intake kit, go ahead and get the best one out, JLT"S Ram Air or Cold Air kit. The quality is awesome and the customer service is badass. Combine it with a 75mm TB and upper plenum and you'll definitely feel a difference.

Good tips. I never thought about the metal heating up and defeating the purpose of the cold air passing through. :shrug: Any other recommended brands made of other materials? K&N has been suggested by a friend too.

I'm glad people are so positive on MRT h pipes and MRT max thunder. Makes me feel better about my decision. Any issues I should look out for when installing a new exhaust system as far as the Law is concerned (aside from passing inspection)? Are there any rules of thumb to follow when one considers the "noise" they create? When/if they pull me over, what would be the legal ramifications if any? It's nice to be able to come to a forum and have people who are willin' to give a guy a hand.:hail2:

Thanks again for your input guys!:nice:

What state do you live in? Each state has different laws concerning vehicle modifications :nice:

I don't have a CAI, however, if I were to buy one it would be the JLT unit. They can custom paint it to match your car aswell :drool:

Any issues I should look out for when installing a new exhaust system as far as the Law is concerned (aside from passing inspection)? Are there any rules of thumb to follow when one considers the "noise" they create? When/if they pull me over, what would be the legal ramifications if any? It's nice to be able to come to a forum and have people who are willin' to give a guy a hand.:hail2:

Thanks again for your input guys!:nice:

If noise pollution is a concern in your state you can get a muffler that will be relatively quiet at idle and loud under load. I'm a fan of the Magnaflow/MRT combo personally:) Depending on the state it also might be a good ideal to have cats.

I removed the air box and slapped in a K&N cone filter right onto the MAF. Seemed to help a good bit. Switching the TB tube to the densecharger one did nothing. I'd just get a filter and MAF adapter cheap on ebay.
First mods (IMO): Xcal2, gears, springs, cat back

i bought a used k+n FIPK for 30$. thats the only reason i did it. i had bought a k+n drop in filter and took the silencer out and the little screen at the mass air meter all at the same time. i could tell a little difference from nothing at all to that but when i changed that to my k+n intake i could not tell much if any difference at all. im going to sell my k+n filter to someone or i might resell my intake and make some money for real mods...

As stated above, save your money and just get a K&N replacement filter and remove the silencer.

The following (imho) is what I would do if I were you (I wish I would/could have done it this way myself):
If your car is manual transmission, get a shifter. Big difference.
Then get full length subframe connectors properly welded onto your car.
Then get an SCT Xcal2 tuner, which will set you up for...
FRPP 4.10 gears.
Then get exhaust.

Have fun :flag: