HELP FUEL PRESSURE WAY TO HIGH

GTNMS89

Dec 15, 2007
My car is a 88 gt with a basically stock 302. The only thing that on the car that isnt from the factory is a typhoon intake. Other than that it is as ford made it.The car has been running really rich and cannot find out why. When i say rich i mean fouling plugs out in 3 miles or so rich! I put a stock fuel pressure regulator on it because it had a aftermarket ajustable one on it, and thought that the diaphram may have been bad. But after the swap still no difference. I put a gauge on it yesterday and at idle with the vacum line loose it still had 73 psi. Is there anything anyone can think of that would cause this. The fuel pump is the original one. I havent pulled the codes yet because motor was just put in so i know that it has a few in it, not to mention that it dosent have the o2 sesor. Thanks in advance for any help.:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Fuel press is not effected by 02 sensors. The eec cannot raise or lower the fuel press.

It sounds like you have a fuel line pinched causing the pressure to rise.

would the return line cause that if it was pinched.I took the return line off and i didnt have any fuel pressure but there wasnt anything comming out of the line. I am really confused.

The 5.0 Mustangs use a shunt type regulator that uses the return line to help reduce the fuel pressure. When the pressure exceeds the regulator setting, the regulator opens the port to the return line to send the excess fuel back to the tank.

If the return line is blocked or restricted, this can cause excessively high fuel pressure.

A pinched return line could cause it. There are rubber hoses connected to the bottom of the metal fuel lines on the front passinger side of the motor. If its collapsed or pinched it could be it. Or if the metal line is bent. There are rubber lines that connect the injector rails together also, if one of them are pinched it could cause back pressure. It could be a line at the tank or anywhere inbetween. You must have an obstruction somewhere.

on a side note, that typhoon intake is based off the edelbrock RPM intake.

it's a big no no on a stock motor, I'd swap it back for a stock piece, you may get your torque back.