Help instyalling oil pressure gauge

palerider94

Feb 21, 2006
Got tired of looking at low oil pressure reading on stock gauge and bought a mechanical gauge hopefully for just peace of mind. Find out tomorrow.

Would like to still have stock gauge functional. Any tips on how to hook up and keep original sending unit functional. Also where is a good place to tie in to wiring for light w/o butchering things up. Appreciate any help. thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Is it an aftermarket gauge (autometer, etc.)?

If so I don't think you can run the OEM sender at the same time, unless you use a t-fitting of some sort, but I don't know if that would alter the readings...

When I put an oil pressure gauge on my 351c I just put the new sender into the block and disconnected the dash gauge.

If it came with the nylon tubing be sure not to route it near anything hot, or else prepare for a smoke show! :D

As far as the light source goes, I tied mine right into the wiring for the rally pac that I no longer had. The factory wire in my 65 had a 3 split connection
for the lights on the rally pac and i just made a new male connection and just plugged right into it. I would think yours would have factory wire for a rally pac as well even if car does not actally have a rally pac in it as many folks got them as a option after buying the cars but ford had the wiring installed reguardless. It helps to a have a factory wiring diagram for this as well....hope that helps.

dennis112 said:
Yep, just go to a good auto parts store with the fittings you have and find a T that allows you to use your stock sending unit and one of the universal fittings found in your aftermarket kit.

This is exactly what I did... keep in mind that if you have power steering, it is going to be a PITA to get the T fitting and the original oil pressure sending unit extension to fit properly (not that much room).

Scott

I prefer not to use the nylon..

I went and picked up some 1/8 inch copper when i hoojed mine up.

You can have both working by using a T for sure....

The 70's have a dimmer switch light source for the gaiuges in the center console that i tied into.

Thanks for all the hlep - I ended running copper and bought a t from local auto parts store. Still have no hooked up light yet.
Mustangman70 if you can could you give me a little more infor on how you hooked into dimmer. thanks

Well.....that Gauges pluged into a harness in the center console...

So i just spliced into the ground and the power from there (which SHOULD be a blue wire with a red stripe)

And viola, you have your self a dimmer controlled gauge light source.