help lower my truckstang

1991notchbackLX

Dec 25, 2007
New York
okay, so as the majority of you guys have pointed out in the past, my car is nice but it has the stance of an F-250... i'd really like to lower this thing while i'm waiting for my h/c/i to come in the mail but i honestly don't know where to begin or what parts are best

i'd like to lower the car 1.25 to 1.5 inches... i searched past posts and see that the majority like either the H&R springs or the FMS C Springs, do i also need shocks/struts and caster/camber plates? if so, which are best? how will lowering teh car affect it's ability to put power to the ground, seeing as i have next to no traction as it sits right now, i'd surely like to avoid losing any more, any help would be greatly appreciated, and here's a pic of my truckstang to remind you of how bad the stock stance is right now:

100_0071.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

i don't know why, but i always feel like summit brand parts are "no frills" and lower quality, maybe it's just me but it's kinda like buying one of those **itty cereals at the supermarket like "Grainy O's" instead of Cheerios... who knows:shrug:

I've got FMS springs in mine. Don't ask me if they are B or C though, as I can't remember lol. Anyways, ride quality is rough, but handles great. I also replaced the struts/shocks at the same time, as well as ball joints and tie rods so the improvement was drastic when it was aligned.

You dont need caster/camber plates, but its highly recommended. I havent put on more than a few thousand km since I did all the work so I've yet to add them. Without them, mainly, you'll just go through front tires a bit quicker.

If you're going through the hassle of swapping out springs, you may as well spring for some struts/shocks so you dont have to do it twice.

Also, don't let this job stray you away from attempting it yourself, its really easy to do, even if you're not overly mechanically inclined.

I just lowered my car!

kyb gr2's up front
kyb gas charged rear / quads
eibach sportlines

The car is now lowered 2 inches! I should have gone with the eibach prokit for a 1.5 drop but what is done is done and I kinda like new stance car looks low but I have no problems with exteme bounciness, bottoming out or with rubbing! but then again I have 16in pony wheels and not 17x9 cobra wheels :rlaugh: here is a pic of what my car looks like with the drop remember it's a 2in drop if that is too much you will need 1.5 drop springs also keep in mind what tire size you currently have I didnt and I had to go buy new tires I didnt quite need yet!

View attachment 323843

Don't get the C springs. I liked them when I had my 16" pony wheels, but when I went 5-lug and 17" Cobra wheels the front rubbed like no tomorrow. If you really want it LOWER get some Eibachs. If you want it to handle better, get something shorter but with a higher spring rate. H&R's for example.

I just swapped some '03 Mach-1 Springs into mine, and I think they're perfect. The front is still lower than stock, but it doesn't rub anymore and it handles MUCH better.

Eibach Pro's

IMG_0405.jpg

Rear is perfect, front too low for me. I did not use lower isolators. Will probably pick some up and install on a rainy day.

nice car! :nice: that's the same stance almost exactly that my car has. i have some springs called Maxspeed i got from a guy locally for $50. they're actually pretty damn good! good handling and not too rough of a ride. i just put them in a couple days ago, actually, along with some tokico HP shocks and struts, KYB quads, and some UPR uppers and lowers. i also had some full length sfc's welded on a month back, so the ride is 1000X better than it was! then again, she had her ORIGINAL shocks/struts/quads and 15 year old FMS B springs, so anything is better. lol