Help me identify this part of the engine

DissFigured

Apr 26, 2005
Dallas, TX
I am cleaning up my engine bay and I have this hose connected to this piece (reference circled picture below). Mine points forward and I want to shorten the hose and rotate this piece so it points backwards. It appears to be threaded near the bottom, but I can't turn it and I dont want to force it w/o some advice. It is obviously some sort of coolant return.

Do I just force it and unscrew it? How do I get it facing the other direction (pointing to the back of the motor)?

stEngine.jpg

Attachments

• stEngine.jpg
    stEngine.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 77
  • Sponsors (?)

If it's steel and the intake is aluminum depending on how long it's been there, the threads could strip in removing it. If the fitting is brass, there's no problem, it'll unscrew without stripping. The Brass won't bond with corrosion to aluminum, steel will for sure.

When I was replacing my manifold, from cast iron to Alluminum. I removing the old heater port connection or water outlet I forget the actual part name. I used a pipe wrench to get good leverage on it. But as the others mentioned be careful. When in doubt take it to a shop.

But I got mine off myself. I was able to get a brand new replacement brass water outlet from NAPA. So once you get it off you may want to replace it.

One other thing, the outlet in the new intake manifold had a larger threaded opening than the original. It did come with a threaded insert that screwed into the opening on the new manifold and had threads to fit the original size outlet. I used the teflon tape. It is in the photo green circle

BTW I noticed that your water temperature sensor is in the wateroutlet housing at the thermostat. Mine is in the intake manifold See red circle.

Does anyone know if one location is perfered over the other? I just replaced the water outlet where the thermostat is and it has the same port or opening that your picture shows where I could move the water temperature sensor to. This photo shows the old one. Just curious if anyone knows if it makes a difference?

Attachments

• DCP00865 All manifold valve covers off.jpg
    DCP00865 All manifold valve covers off.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 124
Some aftermarket intakes have two threaded holes for the heater hose and temp sensor, some don't. I run a sensor in the T-stat housing on my Ranger's 5.0 for the factory electric gauge, the mech sensor is in a "T" with the heater fitting. You can run the temp sensor in any of these locations, the one in the T-stat housing will only get a reading after the T-stat opens. Also the threaded hole on the T-stat housing on mine is too small for a mech gauge, the Ranger's sensor is a smaller unit than the early electric units, it's a 1/4" NPT size. The older electrics were 3/8NPT. The mech gauge usually has fittings for 3/8 & 1/2 NPT.

Some aftermarket intakes have two threaded holes for the heater hose and temp sensor, some don't. I run a sensor in the T-stat housing on my Ranger's 5.0 for the factory electric gauge, the mech sensor is in a "T" with the heater fitting. You can run the temp sensor in any of these locations, the one in the T-stat housing will only get a reading after the T-stat opens. Also the threaded hole on the T-stat housing on mine is too small for a mech gauge, the Ranger's sensor is a smaller unit than the early electric units, it's a 1/4" NPT size. The older electrics were 3/8NPT. The mech gauge usually has fittings for 3/8 & 1/2 NPT.

Thanks for the info. I'm using the original stock temp sensor so if I ever run aftermarket guages I have some options on where to put the temp sensor and I can run both.

I figured the main difference was the one in the T-housing would be different with the thermostat open or closed.