Help......Temp gauge problem

Notchy5.0

Apr 10, 2004
having problems with hooking up stock temp sender. gauge will not read. tried getting a resistance reading between sensor and wire, didnt get anything. had a-pillar autometer gauge hooked up, dont want it anymore, wanna go back to stock gauge, i did change the sender from autometer, to stock. Its a brand new sending unit. whats going on? What can I do? any help would be appreciated

Thanks,
Dustin

• Sponsors (?)

Put the a-pillar guage in a different pod, maybe a column pod, or vent pod, the stock gauge is a POS, and more than likely will never work right. (even if you fix it)

Why would anyone choose to go back to the stock idiot gauges when they had something that was actually reliable in there? Don't know what your problem is- where did you buy the sender? Is it an OEM Ford part, or a chain parts store one? I've seen many Auto Zoo senders dead out of the box.

The stock gauge is supposed to read at the bottom of the gauge with about 70 Ohms and full scale at about 10 Ohms. I think the sending unit should read about 160 Ohms or higher at room temp. Get a Ford sender as they are specially selected to read normal (about half scale) with a 195* stat.

Good Luck, Don

also, you could ground the sender wire, and see if it pegs the gauge. might tell you if the gauge or wiring is at fault (the wire could have broken). you could use a DMM to check the resistance of the grounded wire to see if the wire has continuity, but that would require some work to get the gauge out.

BTW, i agree in full with others about retaining the autometer. but if you insist on ditching it, do you want to make a fellow stanger happy? i accept gifts. LOL J/K.