Help timing a 460.

evanjw2

Jul 27, 2010
Hello All!

My name is Evan. Most guys around here call me Doc. I recently got home from deployment with the Corps. While I was there I had an offer from a classic car broker from Illinois called, Classicmusclecars.com, to purchase a fully restored 72’ Mustang. We’ll, I know a bit about newer cars. EFI and the such. But I’ve never dealt with these older girls before. So I figured now’s as good a time as any. Well, being in the military, I guess they saw me coming a mile away. They definitely took me through the cleaners and I did not get what I was paying for. I already sought legal counseling only to be told I had no case. For instance, the first day I was driving her, the back left wheel broke clean off. I drove maybe 3 miles from where the truck dropped her off at. I was doing 50….you can imagine the damage done. And Believe it or not things have gotten worse from there. The guy who runs the joint definitely took me for a ride. Well, 5K later, give or take, I’m almost there. I’ve just got to time and tune the engine, body work, and some interior things and it’ll be pretty sweet ride. I don’t intend on giving up on the car. So my question is…

The engine setup it a ford 460, not sure what vehicle its originally out of but I believe it’s 7.5l. I was once told that it was out of a 79’ F250 if I remember right. It has a high rise intake and tunnel ram setup made by weiand. Dual quad 600 cfm carbs. And an msd ign module/coil. Right now I can’t seem to get it timed right. I can’t seem to dial it in just so. Any ideas? Does the msd alter the BTDC or the timing setup? Thanks everyone! I appreciate yalls help!

Oh and here’s a list of all the things that went wrong in order of occurrence…in case you were wondering…
1. BL wheel broke clean off. 3 miles
2. After market shifter broke, couldn’t go into drive. Next morning.
3. Headers no properly secured. Noticed when installing new shifter.
4. Water pump went out. Approx 4 more miles
5. Alternator went out. Next morning
6. Oil pump was next. Later that evening, still at seven miles.
7. The valve that controls break pressure between left and right in the rear…blew off somewhere on the road. No breaks. A week later, Total miles drove 10.
8. After market gauges in the console shorted and caught fire. Still at ten miles.
9. Oh there’s a lot more, but they’re like little things. Things I expect to be wrong with the car. Like lil’ interior or exterior issues.
I called him to tell him he needs to figure out a way to make this car into the one I paid for he told me,
“Well maybe you’re not ready for this car.” He goes on,” This car is not a 100 point show car, I told you that. And sides’ I sold it as in with no warranty. What did you expect?”
Too all the guys out there who’ve been working on old muscle and pony cars for a long time, I fully understand that these old cars are a lot of work. Work I’m willing to do. I understand they take a lot of know how, well I’m trying hard to learn. Shoot I’ve learned a lot and I’ve only owned this car for a month. I also realize that not every one is meant to have their own classic muscle or pony car. Well I think I am, but whether I am or not is besides the point. The right thing is the right thing and this Randy character over there at Classicmusclecars.com doesn’t do what he says he’ll do. I was born and raised in a small town in Oklahoma. Where I come from a man is only as good as his word. So this post Went a diff direction. I started with a question and then turned into this. I just wanna’ say…I didn’t spend 3 deployments of getting shot at and blown up saving up for a car I can say is mine only to be ripped off like this. Any ways, back to the point. If any one has any info on how to tune and time this car, I’d appreciate the help.

• Sponsors (?)

sounds like you got taken, sorry to hear that, but consider this a lesson and next time take someone who knows about cars with you. some of the things wont be found even with an expert checking the car over, unless it is a very careful and full inspection.

now to your timing issue, i like to set the initial timing at 10 degree btdc on these engines. does your msd system have a timing control set up as well? if so you need to get the instructions on how to set it up initially as i have never dealt with one of those, yet.

but i think your problem isnt timing but the intake and carb set up. a tunnel ram is not the best for running on the street, and while a healthy 460 can certainly use all that 2 600 cfm carbs can deliver, and perhaps more, they are also wrong for the street. i would change that out for a performer rpm intake and a 750 cfm carb, preferably the edelbrock 750.

it may not be initial timing that is the issue........what are the symptoms that you are chasing..

and welcome aboard as a wide body owner ......:nice:...what body style is it ??

edit:

is this the place ?

25084 W. Old Rand Road . Wauconda, Illinois 60084 | Phone 847-526-5950 | FAX: 847-526-5990

just curious as to what you paid for it ???

Have you tried contacting a couple of the local Chicago news stations and telling them your story and see if any of them do consumer protection stories or other business follow up type stories. No one wants their name on the news in stories like this and it may force them to stand up and do what's right or have their name smeared all over the news. It is a good story. Military man returns from keeping his country safe just to be swindled by someone whose safety he fought for.

Thanks from me and my family for fighting for our right to be free.

:flag:

I'm with Rbohm on the tunnel ram not being what you'd want for a regularly driven street car. Sounds to me like that POS car salesman needs a good old fashioned ass whoopin. If you'd like company to back you up, my son is also a Marine (but stationed at Pendleton) and he'd sure like to get a piece of that POS. I'd also start on him by letting as many people as you know, know about his business. A lot of quality time spent on the net could give you some satifaction with this dirt bag.