HELP: Trying to remove AOD (PICS)

Notchbackdrew

Mar 21, 2006
I assume I got everything disconnected, subframe, driveshaft, cross member, starter, plugs, cables, hoses and the 6 bell housing to block bolts. I was told theres torque converter bolts that need to be removed also that bolt onto the dust plate. The bottom pic is what I currently see....are these the torque converter bolts??

View attachment 480208

OK looking at the above pic.. Im wanting to remove my torque converter bolts. I can see the flywheel and theres bolts sticking through the flywheel with 14mm nuts attached. Theres also holes on the flywheel itself with nuts behind/ inside the holes. You can also see the nut I already removed...

When wanting to remove the tranny, what are the torque converter nuts that I am to remove? The nuts on the outside of the flywheel or the nuts on the inside of the flywheel?

Also, Im going to have to bump the motor to get to the other nuts obviously, I disconnected 2 cables to my starter already. Theres 3 terminals on the starter itself. I forget which cables go where. The cable from the starter solenoid goes where? And then the ground goes on what terminal? Thanks a bunch guys!

• Sponsors (?)

The torque converter is held to the flexplate with 4 lock nuts, one of which is already removed (in your pic). The bolt head showing through the oval cut-out on the flexplate is a drain plug for the converter. Don't loosen or remove it. (unless you wanna take an ATF bath while you're under the car) You can use a 15/16" socket on the crankshaft bolt to turn the engine over to bring the converter locknuts around to the bottom access opening. It's real easy to turn the engine over if you remove the spark plugs. I've found that I would rather have the battery disconnected while I'm flinging electrically-conductive metal wrenches around the bottom of the engine in the area of the starter and that big fat 12 volt cable that attaches to it. That tingling sensation of the electric shock is kinda cool at first but then it starts to hurt a lil bit.:eek:

ahh theres 4???? HAHA Ive been out there for hours trying to get the tranny off thinking there was only 3! Freaking A! Ahh I guess Ill give it another go tommorow. Thanks guys.

BTW- Im just turning the flywheel by hand.. man I got superhuman strength for only being 185lbs, haha.