HELP! want 300+ rwhp

90lxnotch

Dec 26, 2003
slc, utah
i have a 306 with trw 10.13 cr with tfs tw heads tfs stg2 cam track heat intake 75mm tb 24 lb injectors c&l mass air76mm with c&l tube midlength headers h pipe flowmasters 190lph fuel pump aeromotive fuel pressure reg. i got it dynoed today and it put 276.9 rwhp and 283.7 ftlb tq but im having a surge and we found that my intake manifold has a vacum leak between the upper and lower so im fixing that i think its not flat because i keep changing the gasket and it keeps leaking and it was running a little lean because of the vac leak but what else will help out thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Put a new intake gasket on, while you have the upper off, re-torque the lower again! Clean the maf and be sure everything is good before going to the dyno again. Run 18* timing and about 42psi FP and see what happens. When are u dynoing again?

Consider switching to a 70mm throttle body. I think 75mm is too big for a motor that isn't forced induction or stroked (I have a 70mm on my 347). Also think about a 77mm or 80mm Pro-M MAS, they seem to do better than C&L in all the tests I've seen. Was the dyno done with a wideband O2 sensor? How was your A/F ratio? What is your fuel pressure set at now? Definitely fix any vacuum leaks you have.

I've been doing my homework. I have a book sitting in front of me called "5.0L Ford Dyno Tests" by Richard Holdener. On a 5.0L that was modified with H/C/I, the 75mm throttle body produced about 2 less HP starting at about 3500 rpm on up, with about a 3 HP difference at 5000 rpm. The beginning of the chapter "Throttle Bodies: Is Bigger Really Better?" gives a good explaination of proper throttle body sizing, and what exactly it is they do. I'm not going to type the whole thing out, but try out a 70mm or even a 65mm throttle body. Maybe borrow one from a friend or something. If you gain a few HP, great, if not, just swap your 75mm back on no big deal.

Got to agree on 65 or 70 TB at most ...I'ts costing you torque. Check my signature. Of course different dynos give different numbers. Mine was run on a mustang brand, which supposedly gives lower numbers than Dynojets.

I ran 12.02 with the STOCK THROTTLE BODY.

I have Gt-40 irons, TFS street intake, Lunati cam, 73 C&L, AFM powerpipe, slicks, 3.73s, 5 speed. 3050 pounds.

Not sure what kind of power I am making, must be near 300 rwhp.

I would say a 70 would be plenty of TB.

Fix the vaccum leak and get a few more runs in. Find a 70 or even a stocker and switch them in between runs.

75mm is fine for his combo as far as im concerned. I have that 5.0L dyno test book. That test was done on a dart headed 302 with a gt40 intake. GT40 intake has i believe a 70mm opening. They didnt mention opening up the gt40 inlet for the 75mm TB, so therefore, the test was a wash IMO. His motor combo is a bit wilider than the one in the dyno test. The one in the book made about 335hp at the motor, his combo is good for 315+ to the WHEELS.TheTFS intake has a 75mm opening. Keep the 75mm like I said.