Help With Rack & Pinion Bushings

Okay here's my problem: Whenever I turn my steering wheel to the right while I'm sitting still or moving slowly (under 15mph) my car makes a creeking sound and will clank. I got under it the other day and the rack and pinion bushings looked bad worn. It looked like metal was grinding metal. Would this be causing the noises my car is making? If all I need to do is replace the bushings what all will I need (tools and parts) and can I do this by myself in my driveway? Thanks for any help!

• Sponsors (?)

I just replaced my entire rack in the drive way, along with the outer tie rod ends. It took me about six hours, but a certain un-named parts store sold me a bad outer which I had to return, then go to another store because they didn't have a replacement.

To your question - it is certainly doable to replace the bushings in your driveway. I don't know if you'd have to pull the steering column shaft and the outer tie rod ends to give yourself enough play to get it off of there. I suspect you'd at least have to pull the steering column shaft. That's one bolt, so it's not hard.

As a preliminary test, I would pull the nuts off of the two anchor bolts, then shake the p!$$ out of the rack to see if it moves. If not, the bushings probably aren't your problem. I'd also shake the tie rod ends to see if they're loose. If so, I'd buy the parts and do the whole thing. I've had tie rod ends come loose - trust me, you DON'T want that to happen, even at low speeds.

Auto Zone sells a Ford logo rebuilt rack for about $180, and the outer tie rods are about $12 apiece. The rebuilt rack comes with new bushings. BE SURE you follow their instructions for stretching the teflon sealing rings for the hydraulic hoses.

I suspect you'll need to have it aligned if you replace worn bushings. I believe you can get the bushings standalone from Auto Zone or NAPA. Good luck, and let us know if it worked out for you.

What year is your car? My Ford mechanic grinded off about half an inch to each of the spacer looking things on the rack where the bolts go in. He said that the bolts didnt grab enough and that it was causing the whole thing to creak. All gone now :D

The bushings never wear out. I have an 81 Mustang rack and pinion I took off my mod swap car. They are still like new. My friend has a 78 Mustang II....his were like new. We replaced them just because, but it was a waste of time.

Check your ball joints. They turn with your steering. An old Stang I used to have they creeked all the time. My 97 F150 creeks and I put my hand on the ball joint and spindle....you can feel it while my buddy turned the wheel.