HELPPPPP trouble code P0171

jstanger89

May 27, 2004
NE PA
So i picked up my JLT intake and Xcal 3 from cj pony parts today. Drove home still with half tank of 87. Installed my 87 tune and got this error. Did i maybe do something wrong. I went through all the menus and the only thing i had to adjust was the menu that asked what type of air fllter. anybody else run into this. did i install the right tune? i'm going to change to 93 as soon as i run all the 87 out. i got error code po171 went to autozone and they said it means one of the banks is running lean. i'm scared and the car has only 4000 miles on it as of today.when i change from tune to tune do i have to reload it to stock every time or just go to the octane i want? thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

P0171 OBD-II Trouble Code
Technical Description

System Too Lean (Bank 1)
What does that mean?

Basically this means that an oxygen sensor in bank 1 detected a lean condition (too much oxygen in the exhaust). On V6/V8/V10 engines, Bank 1 is the side of the engine that has cylinder #1.

Note: This DTC is very similar to P0174, and in fact your vehicle may show both codes at the same time.
Symptoms

You will more than likely not notice any drivability problems, although there may be symptoms such as a lack of power, detonation (spark knock), and/or a hesitation/surge on acceleration.
Causes

A code P0171 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

* The MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor is dirty or faulty. Note: The use of "oiled" air filters may cause the MAF to become dirty if the filter is over-oiled. There is also an issue with some vehicles where the MAF sensors leak the silicone potting material used to protect the circuitry.
* There could be a vacuum leak downstream of the MAF sensor.

Possible Solutions

Possible solutions include:

* In the vast majority of cases, simply cleaning the MAF sensor does the trick. Consult your service manual for it's location if you need help. I find it's best to take it off and spray it with electronics cleaner or brake cleaner. Make sure you are careful not to damage the MAF sensor, and make sure it's dry before reinstalling
* Inspect all vacuum and PCV hoses, replace if necessary
* Check for a dirty fuel filter and proper fuel pressure

i would check over your CAI installation. check for loose connections. do you have a tune specific to the CAI? if not, you are flowing more air than the tune is expecting, causing the error.

i fixed it, i made a mistake when loading the tune and didn't save the choice for the jlt cai. thanks for the help! and i'm sooooooo happy can't wait to get that 87 run out and replaced with 93 so i can see how much more it will do. it feels awesome. kit installed easy and sct is idiot proof IF YOU PAY ATTENTION to what you are doing.