Here a clunk, there a clunk...

My 07 GT Constanly making clunking noises. I’ve found it happens mostly when there is a change in speed. For instance I am at freeway speed and take my foot of the gas and let it coast for a bit and accelerate, even just lightly getting back on the throttle. also when shifting I get alot of clunking. Primarily immediately after engaging the clutch. The sound goes anywhere from almost quiet (rare) to easily noticeable (often) and sometimes just plain load (rarely). I have a real hard itme pinpointing the sound, as it doesn't seem to distinctly come from the rear, but it doesn't seem to come form the front either. Is this the control arm bolt deal or should I be looking at another possible issues?

• Sponsors (?)

Think about it you have a revolving two piece boat anchor of a driveshaft that zips about like Indiana Jones' bullwhip when under stress. It is also connected to your live rear axle and jerks it whatever which way when torque is applied and released.

In other words you drive a Mustang :)

(Get some control arms a one piece driveshaft, safety loops, some lowering springs and nail down your pinion angle and you should get rid of some of that).

Not sure if this is the case with what the original poster is seeing, but just thought I'd throw this out there. I got rid of most of my clunk noise when I upgraded to a Metco adjustable upper control arm and the bracket that goes with it. It replaces the stock control arm bracket and I understand that's where most of the clunk comes from.

I still have drive line noise, but no more clunk from the rear of the car.
Heavy Duty Upper Control Arm Bracket, : Metco Motorsports

I bought my Coast 1pc Alum DS from Tillman Speed.

I believe there's actually 1 U joint and two CV joints on the OEM boat anchor.
18208240746.jpg

Ring, pinion, and clutches were replaced due to excessive backlash/wear. This seems to have corrected the issue. Now I get a clunk every once in a while, but that seems more in line with what others experience normally (suspenion or whatever). Now going from stop sign to stop sign in the neighborhood doesn;t make me cringe!

2 piece

A 2 piece drive shaft reduces drive line vibration and feedback, which makes the car quieter and smoother.

As you can see many people complain about noise and rattles....If Ford had installed a 1 piece drive shafts the complaints would have gone up even more.

The Mustang is a poor mans sports car.

It is not a Viper, a Vette, a Porsche. a BMW....It is cheap , fast, loud and clunky....always has been and hopefully always will be: otherwise it will cost the same as a Vette, a BMW.....

I get the clunk a lot when I pop the clutch but more with the lower gears (eg. 1-3). I notice it happening a lot less (or a lot quieter) when shifting up to 4th or 5th. It sounds just like what's described and can be really (kind of embarrasingly) loud sometimes.

Found that slipping the clutch a little and focusing on smooth shift transitions using gas & clutch simultaneously helps minimize it. The dreaded clunk occurs a lot more often during shifts when I pop the clutch without giving gas.

One of the reasons I'm looking forward to putting in the 1 piece DS and changing out control arms! :D