Hey Blake!

I have had carb problems again (my second one in less than a year :bang: , they just don't hold up off-road) and I'm SERIOUSLY considering an EFI swap :banana: . I wanted some of your expertise and opinion before I start accumulating parts. It looks like we may have a weekend of work ahead over at H's place. I'll buy the cold drinks, and some supper. :nice:

Give me a shout on my cell.

• Sponsors (?)

Exactly,

Rather than lump this into a 'Idle Chit-Chat' category, consider it a solicitation for information concerning EFI. :D

So far, this is what I have for info

Classic Bronco Info

and this:

Ford Fuel Injection

I've started reading until my eyeballs hurt, and any other info would certainly be appreciated. Carbs are frustrating me, they are just not doing what I want, and they tend to stall out once you get them in an off camber situation, my Carter would stall when going off any drop-offs. My final thought is that carburetors are fine for hot rods and street rigs, not so fabulous for off road.

Besides, there's the zoot factor about having EFI in a Bronco...

GP, always the forum police. Well, ok, not police. More like malitia. :D If you can catch a plane down here to God's country, I'd make sure you have all the drinks and chow you can hold. ;)

Hey Jason! I'm definately up for that, though I think it may take more than a weekend unless you are considering a mega buck$ plug-and-play affair from one of the aftermarket companies. Personally, I'd rather do the leg work and go with 89-93 Ford EFI. I have a ton of links and other info, but all of that is at work, so give me a couple days. I'll post up alot of info on Friday.

66 BLAKE 96 said:
GP, always the forum police. Well, ok, not police. More like malitia. :D

Well somebaody has to try to keep this place organized.

66 BLAKE 96 said:
If you can catch a plane down here to God's country, I'd make sure you have all the drinks and chow you can hold. ;)

Thanks for the offer :nice: :nice: :nice: but, being that I only have 2 hands I can't hold all that much ;)

66 BLAKE 96 said:
Personally, I'd rather do the leg work and go with 89-93 Ford EFI. I have a ton of links and other info, but all of that is at work, so give me a couple days. I'll post up alot of info on Friday.

I have a line on a setup out of a 89 Crown Vic. Not sure if it is an HO setup or not, I need to get in touch with the guy that has it. I was planning on getting the sensor mounts welded on my headers beforehand, and just plugging them until the conversion can be made. The rest I hope can be done in a couple of days (foolishly optomistic, I know) I'll get in touch with the guy who has the setup and let you know where I stand.

mustangfreak_2001 said:
You have new fuel lines and a intake fuel pump ready? got the computer and w/h?

I am going to replace the fuel lines with braided stainless like in the Classic Bronco writeup. Doing the dual fuel pump thing and a 6 port solenoid for switching tanks. I am still waiting to hear back from the dude about the crown vic setup, and see how complete it is. I will buy a Bronco specific wiring harness, damn the cost, I want to keep headaches to a minimum. I think that installing new fuel lines and wiring them up will take as long as mounting the intake and sensors. (*if you know better, let me know!)

BTW - Weren't you the fella that was looking at the SVO? I heard you got a late model GT instead, good for you, now yer in the Blue Oval club... :D

Gummi Bear said:
I have a line on a setup out of a 89 Crown Vic. Not sure if it is an HO setup or not, I need to get in touch with the guy that has it. I was planning on getting the sensor mounts welded on my headers beforehand, and just plugging them until the conversion can be made. The rest I hope can be done in a couple of days (foolishly optomistic, I know) I'll get in touch with the guy who has the setup and let you know where I stand.

Hmm, 89 Crown Vic is no HO motor, but that shouldn't matter too much as I know where you can get a free HO intake, and you can use the non HO wiring and computer I believe.

Here's a great source for archived swap info whether its 6-to-8, T-5, or EFI:
http://www.geocities.com/stangnetswapper/

:nice:

66 BLAKE 96 said:
Hmm, 89 Crown Vic is no HO motor, but that shouldn't matter too much as I know where you can get a free HO intake, and you can use the non HO wiring and computer I believe.

Here's a great source for archived swap info whether its 6-to-8, T-5, or EFI:
http://www.geocities.com/stangnetswapper/

:nice:

Right on!

I'm hoping to spend January accumulating parts, and doing research, make the install in February. I have to get my body lift installed (it will make things easier, and will facilitate the transfer case I hope to someday have) and some creative sheet metal trimming (corners be GONE!). The word of the day is Torque (will the HO intake make a difference on this?), top end isn't nearly as high of a priority. If I could figure out how to make it all work, I'd love to have max power at 2,ooo rpm or less :D but then I wouldn't be able to speed to work every morning. I'm going to have as much as possible done before the major swap. We'll see how things pan out, and I'll keep accumulating parts up until it's time to do it.

I don't know that a stock HO intake is going to improve torque, but I don't think its going to hurt it compared to your current Carb setup. Either way, I would consider it a band-aid until you could get a suitable aftermarket intake. I'd have to do some research (maybe search the 5.0 section of StangNet's forums) to see which intake will give you the best low end grunt.