Hey troubleshooters...(died, won't start)

Hef5.0weisen

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Mar 5, 2004
NorthWest Florida
I know, check the PIP....read that alot while using "search"

Looking for some help...here it comes

Started a few weeks ago, would intermittently break up around 3-4 K RPM...like hitting a rev limiter. Started looking into the books and general maintenance type stuff, (loose, dirty, cracked stuff) Pressed on, wednesday night drivng home died after running about 10 mins, got the truck pulled it back to the parking lot at work. Fired back up, died after 3 mins...(Pump would prime).....Fugeddaboutitt, its 13 degrees out, I drove the work truck home.
As stated, after searching seemed like PIP symptoms, picked up a re-man dizzy and a new PIP sensor (after reading the horror stories of bad re-man's), and a ignition module. My car is stuck on an Air Force base, in my work parking lot, and although the Air Force is open 24/7 we love our weekends and frankly no one is around, ie most of my buds are out of town....relevance, no one around to help t-shoot, read turn the key while I look for spark or probe the injectors. Playing the odds, I swapped the dizzy and ignition module, no go, went through stabbing it multiple times, pretty confident it is right. To warm up from the elements for a bit I put the new PIP in the original dizzy, for a spare, and tried that one in there as well...no go. I'm not oblivious to the fact they both could be bad...

I did bust out the Haynes manual , had power at the module, and at the dizzy, DID (past tense) have fuel in the rail. Earlier the pump would prime, not hearing it now. Checked the plug at the CCRM had power at a couple fo pins. FWIW, I did the fan mod (switch to turn the fan on/off from the ccrm) it doesn't work now. Earlier, I tired my code reader, it would self test ( my indicator..the hi/low fans would cycle), didn't get any codes....and now it won't run self test (reader plugged in, fans not cycling)

Kinda stumped...I thinking the CCRM crapped out, seems to be evidence of that. Not my initial thought to the big problem, because the pump primed. I won;t deny there could be multiple discrepancies, however I'm inclned to believe there is something simple happening (or not happening..like starting:mad:) here,

To recap, unfortunantly I haven't been able to check for spark...I know...bad on me, simple stuff there. (trust me, I was trying, put a length of wire into a plg wire, tried to ground it to my jack ,crank it and look for spark, not sure if that would work, but A+ for creativity:nice:) 2 new PIPs, no codes, pump not priming,(did earlier) new module, power available on wiring harness (sorry I know that is a vague statement) Also when cranking, no backfiring...not even trying to light off. Even checked the cut out switch in thre trunk. Car ran fine without the tweecer, it is also pulled out, just excluding a variable. Have a Crane Hi-6 also, bypassed (back to stock config), no-go..power indicator (on the box) is indicating regardless.

Having said all that, biggest problem is it is not in my driveway, just makes it a PITA to work on...friends are out of town :notnice: Kinda long winded here, but thanks for sticking it out. From simple to advanced, I 'm open for suggestions.

hoping its a bad ground somewhere....

• Sponsors (?)

I'd start by putting a charge on the battery. No doubt it took a beating from all the cranking. Go through the fuse box as it almost sounds like you may have popped one somehow.

As I was reading, I thought about a similar situation I had with my truck when the Superchips module went bad. Try and do all your trouble shooting from here on out with the tweecer not installed.

May want to pick up a TFI module too...

yeah,
battery is getting whoopped, I was cranking it with my XTerra/jumpercables after a while. Brought it home and put it on a charger for the night, it'll stay warm anyway...

Module was replaced, Tweecer was yanked, looked at all the fuses under the hood...

thanks for looking

probably look for a CCRM in the 'yards monday morning, nothing open on Sunday around here

yeah,
battery is getting whoopped, I was cranking it with my XTerra/jumpercables after a while. Brought it home and put it on a charger for the night, it'll stay warm anyway...

Module was replaced, Tweecer was yanked, looked at all the fuses under the hood...

thanks for looking

probably look for a CCRM in the 'yards monday morning, nothing open on Sunday around here

Check for fuel at the rails and recheck the fans... im doubting that ccrm... i think you should be looking for a ditsy... BUt if indeed your not getting fuel... and the fans are acting up you are looking in the right direction.