Hi

• Sponsors (?)

Wow........I'm on my third 5.0 and could only dream of owning a skyline.....this guy is going backwards. I'm a big fan of boosted inline sixes of any kind. I don't really know why, but they all seem to be able to make ALOT of power reliably. How many 2JZ supras out there are making over 500hp with nothing more than basic bolt ons. I love mustangs, but I would definately have a supra if I could afford it. (I don't think I could get used to right hand drive on the skyline). Anyone ever seen that Chevy II with the turbod trailblazer motor on 1320video, WOW. But if you must have a V8, you have made the right choice with a mustang.

d50tt said:
HKS 2.8L Stroker Kit - $7500 USD
HKS Camshafts (Intake/Exhaust) - $2000 USD
HKS Air Intake - $1000 USD
HKS Camshaft Gears (Intake/Exhaust) - $500 USD
HKS Titanium Cat-Back Exhaust - $2500 USD
HKS Down-Pipe - $1000 USD
JUN Intake Plenum - $2000 USD
HKS 800cc Injectors - $1500 USD

These are just some of the many parts I've changed. That's roughly $20k, and that doesn't include machine work, installation, and the rest of the freaking car. Thank god the stock drivetrain itself is nearly invincible, the GT-R can hold 550+ WHP without shattering, theres some guys running 800 WHP on the stock GT-R differentials, but obviously drag clutches, etc. Transmission itself will hold 400 WHP without problems, the R34 GT-R will hold 500 WHP on its 6 Speed Getrag transmission without shattering.

Anyways, I'm thinking about selling my skyline off to finance a house or something. That's part of the reason why I want a 5.0 too because its nice power, for *pretty* cheap. Did I mention my having 500 RWTQ would be nice too? heh I'm barely past 300 WTQ on my build right now for my skyline.

Just give me a PM buddy, you sound like you know some stuff :p

I saw you msged me on AIM, I wasnt home, feel free to shoot me a msg whenever!

Thanks for the support guys, truly appreciate the amount of advice I've gotten so far.

To answer the gentlemen's question about why anybody would spend tons of money into a skyline? Well, to put it basically... AWD. If anybody on this forum ever gets to take a skyline out for a spin, you will know what I'm talking about. A 9500 RPM clutch drop on a skyline gt-r will provide you with the kind of thrill you won't find on a ferrari. To put it bluntly, the car's AWD computer absolutely fights to keep traction on the road using an lateral/vertical sensors, etc.. to distribute up to 50% of torque to the front tires. Again, not to toot the skylines horn, a stock skyline GT-R will run 13.2 stock, I believe that's slightly slower than a stock '03-'04 cobra mustang.. which I believe run 12.9 stock? Don't bash me if I'm wrong, lol..

Although I've yet to take it out to the track (due to it being rediculously cold, and track being closed), I can do 2 full bars of boost with some race fuel and bang off mid 10's at least without too much worries on cracking the block. Theres a skyline GT-R in my area with similar specs and he dynoes in at 910 WHP with 2.5 bars of boost, race fuel and a LOT more tuning/headwork/etc.. than I have :p But hes probably dumped closed to $50-60k heh... and I think he does a lot of the work himself.

After much debate, the 5.0 / 5.8 short blocks aren't too much different in price. The fact that I'm planning on running two turbos through the engine will probably mean I might want some forged internals. I've priced out the parts for forged pistons, con. rods, crankshaft and I figure I might as well find a decent stroker kit as well. So in simplest terms, I'll be probably be doing a 351 stroker twin turbo motor in the near future, since i have to upgrade all the damn internals anyways i figure i might as well give it some love.

Anybody have suggestions on a rear diff? I've heard the Ford 9" is supposed to be unbreakable, if this is true.. wow. Skylines aren't torque monsters, but their drivetrains themselves is literally impossible to shatter espescially when the power output is close to stock. The dealership I bought my skyline from has a lifetime warranty on a skyline gtr's drivetrain if the power level is stock and kept in good condition. But I think its just a cheap marketing scheme to sell more cars lol.

the ford 9" rear end is pretty much a standard for alot of different racing venues, and best of all they're still relatively easy to come by. and it's ironic you want to build a 351 based stroker twin turbo, since i have never seen one and wondered why no one i know has built one. it's probably because for most people the cost would be prohibitive. i think a well built and blueprinted 351 twin turbo stroker would be good for an easy 800 - 900 streetable horsepower. that thing would be insane. or to quote Steve Buscemi "this is so much fun it's freaky!"

you'll want to run a custom grind cam.. me and manyyyyy other people suggest custom Grinds because how much power they bring out of the motor.. also if your running a 5spd.. you'll want a T56 from G-force or a C4 for automatics sake.. this may be your favorite place.. www.D&Dmotorsports.com they have there custom grinds and there trannys for good prices