Holley Systemax Ii?

markc522

Apr 4, 2005
dfw
does anyone have experience withe the Holley SysteMAX II system.
im looking at getting it for my 86. the 86 has speed dencity. i have seen it done without update to mass air and i have heard that it wont work unless you have mass air.

i guess i am going to have to contact holley direct to see if i need to update to mass air. and rebuild my bottom end to get rid of the flat top pistons.
just tell me your story.

• Sponsors (?)

Mass Air.

I could only tell you my story due to the Mass air question. I did my Mass Air upgrade(FMS) before I started my complete rebuild of the engine. Then I knew that everything was running fine,and that my new EEC "unit" was ok.
After running a few miles and days with my new computer, I installed my Trick Flow kit.
So, If you are planning some minor mods to your engine, do the Mass air convension. The speed density system is not designed for lage camshafts,more air thru the engine etc.
My Trick flow cam(stage 1, 0.499/510Lift-221/225Dur) gave me only 0.7mm PW clerance (should be like 2.1mm). So, I have to flycut my pistons,and I also installed a 75mm air meter,calbrated for #24injectors.
Good Luck with your mods :)

markc522 said:
does anyone have experience withe the Holley SysteMAX II system.
im looking at getting it for my 86. the 86 has speed dencity. i have seen it done without update to mass air and i have heard that it wont work unless you have mass air.

i guess i am going to have to contact holley direct to see if i need to update to mass air. and rebuild my bottom end to get rid of the flat top pistons.
just tell me your story.

you are going to need to change out your pistons to do much of anything to that engine ......

yea man, upgrade those heads, instead of getting the MAF Conversion package, i ended up buying the harness for 80 bucks, the computer for 100, and the mass air meter from C&L callibrated for 24# injectors for around 200, thats 380 dollars, plus 15 for a stock mass air sensor for the sensor itself - there 400 bucks about - the kit that converts it is even more than that, AND you only get a stock MAF to use, instead of a C&L mass air meter - so you'll be saving prob 200 if you don't use the package deal that they try to make sound so great -

On my '87 (still speed density) I have the stock block assembly, stock cam, trick flow heads w/ 2.02 intake, 1.7 rollers, edelbrock performer intake, 65mm tb, stock injectors, pulleys, 1.5" equal lenth shorties, & 75 NOS shot.

It runs strong and pulls hard. It ran 8.45 in the eighth w/ stock heads and home ported intake, no nitrous and w. edelbrock and tfs and w/ the nitrous it ran 7.91.

You can stay w/ speed density, but keep your cam stock.