Hood strut kit installed pics - dialup warning!

Dorsai

Aug 13, 2005
Connecticut
Installed the kit from MRT-Direct after work today. Decent kit, the only thing it is missing in my opinion is slightly longer bolts to mount the fender pieces due to spacers being under the fender clips. Great kit all around, much more room to work under the hood with this install. The struts hold the hood from the half way open point and will push it all the way open on thier own just past half way open. They have good holding power, it takes a good pull to bring the hood down :nice:

b5a10f7f.jpg

ed97e290.jpg

3f9b6551.jpg

4ea234bb.jpg

175512e6.jpg

cbaf12a0.jpg

3c2f6714.jpg

Attachments

• 3f9b6551.jpg
    3f9b6551.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 105
  • ed97e290.jpg
    ed97e290.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 95
  • b5a10f7f.jpg
    b5a10f7f.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 4ea234bb.jpg
    4ea234bb.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 109
  • 175512e6.jpg
    175512e6.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 101
  • cbaf12a0.jpg
    cbaf12a0.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 113
  • 3c2f6714.jpg
    3c2f6714.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 98
  • Sponsors (?)

They look good! :nice: I have been wanting some of these for like 4 years. lol. I was wondering if you know the legnth of the struts? I am wondering if they are the same as the trunk uses. They look like it. I was thinking of fabricating some brackets and buying some trunk struts (or something) but I have no idea if that will work. If you know the leghth of them please post it. :)

DTNODYA said:
If you know the leghth of them please post it. :)

The struts used in this kit are shorter than the trunk struts used by Ford. The trunk struts are 19" pivot center to pivot center, where the hood kit uses 13" struts pivot center to pivot center.

strutlength9tt.jpg

Attachments

• strutlength9tt.jpg
    strutlength9tt.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 83
Looks great... but Im left with what might be a stupid question.

Is it hard to shut your hood? Reason I ask is because my stock hood seems to really need some oomph behind in when shutting. I usually just bring it up to almost chest height and have to drop it to get it shut right.

With these, I assume you have to push them down. Leaving the hood nasty from where your hands have been?

FivePointStang said:

Is it hard to shut your hood? Reason I ask is because my stock hood seems to really need some oomph behind in when shutting. I usually just bring it up to almost chest height and have to drop it to get it shut right.

With these, I assume you have to push them down. Leaving the hood nasty from where your hands have been?

you probably need to grease your hood latch. spray some white lithium grease on the latch and work the latch manualy with your hand to work the grease in... you'll find that your hood with shut much more easily if you do this every few months

FivePointStang said:

Clean your hands! :mad:

All you do is pull the hood down a bit and it comes into a neutral zone in which you just 'drop' it as usual.

Dorsai said:
The struts used in this kit are shorter than the trunk struts used by Ford. The trunk struts are 19" pivot center to pivot center, where the hood kit uses 13" struts pivot center to pivot center.

strutlength9tt.jpg

Ok, thx for the info. So I guess I will be looking for some 13" struts PC to PC. That is when the arm is fully extended I take it .. Are they larger in diameter than the stock trunkers? I am a cheap ass :lol:

Attachments

• strutlength9tt.jpg
    strutlength9tt.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 82
FivePointStang said:

Your not touching the hood any more with this kit than when raising and lowering to use the factory prop rod. Like other said, wash your hands. The struts only hold the weight of the hood from about the half way open point, less than that and it is basicaly in free fall when you close it so no you do not need to push down on the hood to close it.

DTNODYA said:
Ok, thx for the info. So I guess I will be looking for some 13" struts PC to PC. That is when the arm is fully extended I take it .. Are they larger in diameter than the stock trunkers? I am a cheap ass :lol:

They are slightly smaller in diameter than the truck struts, but I doubt the trunk ones would rub. The problem is what are you going to use to hold the strut ends? This kit comes with some stiff braces that bolt into place and distribute the wieght of the hood across the length of the brace.

The install on this kit was pretty easy, it's is a bolt on item. Although as I posted above I feel the kit needs longer bolts for the fender mount. With some patience it went on anyway. No drilling or rivits like the other kits. This kit was about 125 shipped.

yeah, it's $125 or so

the install shouldn't take more than 30 minutes. although, I did have a problem with the stock fender bolts and so I went to the closet Ford shop and got two new ones. but it's really worth it if you do any engine work or even if you like to show your car.

FivePointStang said:

that's why I love the clear paint protection ;) I don't really care much that i touch the hood now haha. Plus though I just use the hood latch hole in the hood to pull it down.

I'm goin to try that grease thing though...i don't really "slam" the hood down, but i still feel like i have to shut it harder than i'd like!!