Hooking Up Parking Brake After Disc Conversion???

92Apocalypso

Mar 7, 2017
fellas,

The only real modification that was done to my newly purchased LX hatch was disc brakes in the rear and 03/04 cobra front disc upgrades. The parking brake is currently not working at all. Nothing is connected. I'm assuming I need to purchase parking brake cables from an 03/04, left and right, but I'm curious how much further modification will need to be made to get those thooked up to my 92 parking brake handle. Interested to hear what you guys did.... And don't suggest to leave it without the brake functioning haha. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks boss. I checked it out and seems as though everyone is running sn95 stuff. Previous owner distinctively told me 03/04..... I think maybe first I need to take photos and post them here to see who can help identify exactly what I really have. As far as the emergency brake is concerned only saw a couple things and seems as though people modified their factory brake cable... buts it's all a little vague. Thanks for the post.

Thanks boss. I checked it out and seems as though everyone is running sn95 stuff. Previous owner distinctively told me 03/04..... I think maybe first I need to take photos and post them here to see who can help identify exactly what I really have. As far as the emergency brake is concerned only saw a couple things and seems as though people modified their factory brake cable... buts it's all a little vague. Thanks for the post.

The 03-04 cobra stuff is nothing special in terms of the rear calipers ....

You'll need. https://lmr.com/item/M2810A/87-93-Mustang-Front-Parking-Brake-Cable-For-Rear-Disc-Brakes

2 of these ....

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-2635D/1987-92-Mustang-Rear-Parking-Brake-Cable-Rear-Disc-Brakes

Reactions: 5 users
You do not need to modify the parking brake lever. You just need to get the new cables that @TOOLOW91 posted a link to. I have this brake setup and the cables from LMR takes all of the thinking out of the equation for this upgrade.

Reactions: 1 users
mustangpics553.jpg
nd this in a quick google search

Reactions: 1 user
See http://www.mustangcentral.net/tech/brake.html for help with the emergency brake. The red words link to some very useful photos on how to modify the handle. The stock setup tends to lock up and not release properly.

Yeah I found that write up, very well done, but some people are saying all of that isn't necessary.... while others say it is.... what's the verdict. And thank you for the reply

@92Apocalypso
@FoxMustangLvr

After having to crawl under the car and wrestle with releasing the tension on the parking brake mechanism of the rear disks, I would say that it is a necessary part of the fix.

Very good to know. To be clear, if I purchase the 2 parts listed above, I can modify the brake lever as shown on that link you posted, and everything is great right. Thanks for your reply

My parking brakes have always worked well without all the mods....however, I installed a sn95 e brake handle cable and cable bracket. I've been running this set up for atleast 8 years. The parking brake holds well. I'm thinking about doing the handle mod because there was a TSB out for sn95 cars and the e brake releasing on its own or not engaging fully.

So, the mod seems to be the only way to have reliable parking brakes....even for sn95 cars. They also have an issue with water and debris getting in the passenger cable causing it to drag or lock up. No real fix for that either.

My parking brakes have always worked well without all the mods....however, I installed a sn95 e brake handle cable and cable bracket. I've been running this set up for atleast 8 years. The parking brake holds well. I'm thinking about doing the handle mod because there was a TSB out for sn95 cars and the e brake releasing on its own or not engaging fully.

So, the mod seems to be the only way to have reliable parking brakes....even for sn95 cars. They also have an issue with water and debris getting in the passenger cable causing it to drag or lock up. No real fix for that either.

Also good to know! I guess I will have to do those mods then. I want to do this right and only do it one time you know.

Very good to know. To be clear, if I purchase the 2 parts listed above, I can modify the brake lever as shown on that link you posted, and everything is great right. Thanks for your reply

You need 3 parts, 2 ebrake cables one for each side . And the adjustable center cable .

I'm in the middle nearing the end of this whole conversion myself

You need 3 parts, 2 ebrake cables one for each side . And the adjustable center cable .

I'm in the middle nearing the end of this whole conversion myself

Awesome. Ill.order that stuff this week from LMR.... not sure when I'll have time to get to it though. Let me know once you have everything complate. Thanks again

Awesome. Ill.order that stuff this week from LMR.... not sure when I'll have time to get to it though. Let me know once you have everything complate. Thanks again
No problem . Im waiting on my center cable myself. As soon as its done ill let ya know