Houston... We may have a problem.

Maryland Stang

Aug 21, 2002
Greenville, NC
So just for grins and giggles I bought a NOS (new old stock) GTech Pro. Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know. It's not accurate, it's ricer and etc. Whatever.

It measures 0-60, 1/4 mile, 60-0 (braking), skip pad Gs and horsepower.

So I install it on my windshield and head out to a deserted piece of road that is near by. I just wanted to test HP and 0-60. It was a 55 MPH road so I'd only be speeding by 5 mph so it's no biggie.

I put it in horsepower mode and press the button. It says go and off I went. It was doing horrible wheel spin. I got to what I thought was the end of 1st gear and shifted into second. More uncontrollable wheel spin. I wound it up and shifted into 3rd and finally it got traction. I wound 3rd up to about 5500 RPM and let off the gas. The result. 234 rear wheel horsepower. Hmm... I'm not impressed.

Then it was time for the 0 to 60 run. Put the Gtech in ET mode and pressed the button. It said go and off I went again. This time bearing in mind that I was having serious traction issues, I tried to control the wheel spin. No such luck. So I short shifted at about 4500 RPM into second hopeing to get in under the power band and get traction before the power came on. No such luck again.

It just spun and spun and no amount of throttle feathering was going to get it to stop spinning. Again I shifted into 3rd and it finally stopped spinning. I would it up to about 75 on the speedo (I have a speedo error, I was really at about 65) and let off the gas.

It had ripped out a blistering 7.11 second 0 to 60 time.

I suspect I'm gonna need some better tires. I didn't have this problem before I put the HCI on.

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like time for new tires and more practice?

Yeah. The tires may have to wait until next year. I just dumped more than a few dollars into it with the nitrous. I think if I spend any more money on it right now my wife will have my head on the table for Christmas dinner. :eek:

The practice will come when I get the tires. I did a lot of practicing taking off before I did the HCI but all of that is garbage now. It's just blowing right through these junk azz Cooper Cobras.

If you had real power, nothing would stick to your windshield on the inside. :p (joking)

Sounds like time for new tires and more practice?

For reference, he was making 380hp/399tq at the wheels. I'm not sure what it cost, but he had $1300 worth of Autometer gauges, i think he got the Cobalt version so i know it wasn't cheap.