How can I tell the difference?

Phatt_daddy

Apr 22, 2005
Hytop, AL
I took the car out for a good ol spin and noticed that the shifts are alot shorter than what was in my '87. Well to my surprise I have a short throw bolted to the tranny andfrom the looks of it it is a pro 5.0. Which leads me to this, If the person who previously owned the car put the short throw in it then what if they also put on the PI heads and intake. How do I tell if this has been done? The intake that is on the car has a metal crossover pipe fron one side of the intake to the other where the alt bolts to it. I just asumed that this was the replacement for the all plastic ones. So what do I look or to tell?

Thanks,
Nate
:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Ever consider trying to get a hold of them and finding out what all they'd done to it? It's better than ripping half your car apart, or playing a guessing game to do so!

Won't cost you anything more than the price of a carfax report. :shrug:

Couldn't someone just use the stock npi covers on a set of pi heads? And as for power, even with only one o2 sensor hooked up the car pulls like crazy.

Gearbanger- as for getting holdof the previous owner, that would not be to wiseas he knows nothing about mustangs. He bought it as a repo so the original owner wont be likely to help me out either.

thanks,
Nate

Gearbanger- as for getting holdof the previous owner, that would not be to wiseas he knows nothing about mustangs. He bought it as a repo so the original owner wont be likely to help me out either.

Meh, it couldn't hurt. :shrug: A carfax will tell you all the owners from day one. And he's got nothign to lose.....it's not going to cost him anything to tell you what he did to the car while he owned it and it's not as though he's got any legal right to it any longer either. It's what I'd do if I was in your situation.

post a pic of your engine then someone can tell you if it's PI or not. try taking a picture under the intake. I hear if there is a big gap then it's not PI if you can barely see the block it might be PI

The manifolds between the two are certainly different. For those who don't know what those differences are, other than the obvious tear drop shaped ports (non-PI) vs square shaped ports (PI), the front runner is on the passenger side of the Non-PI intake is as pictured below.

615-178a.jpg

With the PI intake, the front runner is on the drivers side.....as pictured below.

mustangtuning_1958_9088201

That being said, what type of intake manifold is on the car still won't tell you what heads are on it, since a PI intake swap is quite a common practice amongst '96-'98 owners. :bang: