How do i get the Brake Caliper Piston back in??

Kdubslugga

Jun 7, 2003
Akron, OH
Im changing Brake pads, and somehow the piston on the left front brake caliper slipped out, how do i go about trying to get it back it there, is it just a matter of trial and error, i dont want to break anything. Any Ideas??

• Sponsors (?)

When it comes to brakes, i wouldn't mess around. You might not be able to get the piston to seal correctly.

I would take it off, drive to autozone, pay $12 for another one and put that on, bleed the brakes and call it a day.

I had the same thing happen, just started the piston back in and used a woodworking clamp and a piece of wood to compress it (after cleaning the piston off carefully, of course). If the piston fell to the ground, be sure to check it for nicks etc.

if the seal dried out, coat it with brake fluid.

i agree in full with Mike - for the price of a new one, dont mess around. ive rebuilt calipers before and i never felt great about it. money very well spent on a new/reman'd one, IMHO.

If you can get it started, I'd use one of the old brake pads with a c-clamp to try and seat it nice and even (should go in ok). But then again, for the price of new ones, if the old ones are questionable...