How do you adjust the door so that it lines up with the body

• Sponsors (?)

If your car hasnt been hit, im wondering how it got out of alignment? Is your door sagging, has it been opend farther than the hinges normaly allow or hung on when the door was open? Cant understand how it got messd up if nothing has happend to it. It sounds like it would need to be taken off and check the door hanger for proper location on the body frame, and check the hanger on the door edge.

98blackmagic said:
If your car hasnt been hit, im wondering how it got out of alignment? Is your door sagging, has it been opend farther than the hinges normaly allow or hung on when the door was open? Cant understand how it got messd up if nothing has happend to it. It sounds like it would need to be taken off and check the door hanger for proper location on the body frame, and check the hanger on the door edge.

My Cobra's pass. side door was off since day one. Got it fixed under warranty. I notice that allot of 02-04 cars has alignment problems. Fords crap quality control!

My Bullitt has this problem with the drivers door :mad:

At first I thought it was a squeaky hinge but then I realized that the door was off center. Started this fall never been in an accident and babied since pickup.

I'll tear the door off in the spring to see what's up.

you can try adjusting the little striker where the door latches onto. i had to adjust mine before

if notcheck with a body shop, htey might have to shim the hinges or something along those lines

Check your striker.
Some strikers come with a plastic or rubber sleeve on it. If it has worn or has broken off, then the door will sit lower. Once you replace it, the door should sit a little higher. Or you can see if you can just loosen it and move it up a bit.

I remember the striker on my old 5.0 had some adjustablility.

If you're not sure what the stirker is, here is a quick link i found with a pic.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.johnsmustang.com/pictures/new_mustang/door/door_striker.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.johnsmustang.com/Catalog/3006/&h=150&w=178&sz=6&tbnid=G-QG8CAN1TbrLM:&tbnh=80&tbnw=95&hl=en&start=9&prev=/images%3Fq%3Ddoor%2Bstriker%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN

Good luck.

I was in a minor fender bender a while back, where i rear ended someone. The car was fixed with no problems, however, i had the guy adjust the door when i picked it back up, as it looked like it was not in alignment with the body of the car and it was difficult to close and latch properly. Over time i guess the door has settled, or whatver, and its off again, but this time i dont have a warranty to cover it.

once I put the subframe connectors on my car, it corrected a lot of the problems you guys are having.. I don't even have to push my door closed, the striker meets the door hinge perfectly on both sides...

reeber said:
once I put the subframe connectors on my car, it corrected a lot of the problems you guys are having.. I don't even have to push my door closed, the striker meets the door hinge perfectly on both sides...

^werd. It has less to do with quality control, and more to do with cutting half the car off so you can have a vert. Cars are not rigid objects that are ramrod straight all the time - they are more flexible than you think, *especially* without a roof. If you park a vert with one wheel up on a curb, I doubt you'd get a door shut. A coupe you'd probably have less problems, especially if you have sfc's. That's not a quality issue, it's a matter of trading rigidity for a canvas top.

reeber said:

Yes, but they can also have they opposite effect if the car is not level, and weighted on the wheels when they are welded in. I did notice he had subframes, this could also be the issue.

the first step to adjusting a door is to remove the striker.
remove the striker and shut the door. do the body lines line up properly? if so, you need to sdjust the striker only. adjust it until the door shuts easily and lines up properly.

if the door does not line up properly with the striker out, thers a problem in the hinges.

step one: lift on the rear edge of the door to see if there is play in the bushings. if there is movement, you need to replace the pins and bushings in BOTH hinges.

step two: if there is no movement in step one, close the door. does it go into place easily, and line up? if it wants to spring out when in the closed position (with the striker still out), there is hinge bind. you wil have to loosen one hinge at a time and adjust it until it closes nice and easy.

adjusting the hinges:

height is usually adjusted with the bolts on the door side of the hinges, but can also be adjusted with the hinge pillar bolts. try the door bolts first, as this will move the entire adjustment less.

in/out is always adjusted with the bolts on the door side of the hinges.

forward/backward is always adjusted with the bolts on the hinge pillar. be very careful when adjusting the hinge pillar bolts, as this will cause the door to move dramatically. this is harder to adjust for rookies.

if the door is ok in the front, but sags in the rear, move the lower hinge back, as this will raise the rear edge. (meaning the gap at the lower rear will become smaller) reverse if the door is too high/wide gap at the top rear.

if the door is off just a tiny bit up or down at the rear, you can lift or push down on the rear edge. usually the door will be low and not high in the rear. you can do it several ways. first try to lift up using your hands. if this does not move it enough, use a floor jack (but put a 2x4 between the jack and your door edge to spread the load). jack it up a little at a time it is easier to lift a little more than it is to lower it to the right heigth if you go too far.

hope this helps, and i didnt confuse anyone. if you still have questions, just let me know.