How long to wait till car is warmed up.

• Sponsors (?)

With gas being so expensive, getting 0 miles per gallon letting the car idle is not something I like doing. Driving slow for the first 10 minutes is about all the car needs.

I agree with Mustang5L5 "Modern fuel injection IS great"!

mob said:
I still dont get it, what could happen if you start the car in the morning and drop the clutch out of the driveway?
Most parts have differing tolerances (you have iron, aluminum, steel, etc all mixed together). The tolerances are generally set so when items are hot (swollen) they fit decently tight. When the parts are cold, they arent fitting together real well because they all have different coefficients of expansion.

Let alone that oil isnt in its prime until it reaches a certain temp threshold, etc.

I wont beat on a car at all until it's up to op. temps.

HISSIN50 said:
Most parts have differing tolerances (you have iron, aluminum, steel, etc all mixed together). The tolerances are generally set so when items are hot (swollen) they fit decently tight. When the parts are cold, they arent fitting together real well because they all have different coefficients of expansion.

Let alone that oil isnt in its prime until it reaches a certain temp threshold, etc.

I wont beat on a car at all until it's up to op. temps.

Alright thanks, not saying I do that, but its good to know why, ill make sure it gets to normal temp before I beat on it :nice:

i got to reading the question and i have my own answer but i ran out of time and i wanna reply... i didint have time to read anyone elses reply.. so what used to do.. was start it long enough till the guages all were in tact... then i would pull away easy... but since my buddy 2006 gto starts his and burns out everytime he starts it and warped a head after only 2 months of owing it... now i start the car and sit for about 3 min.. then i take off easy till im out of my sub... then on the main road ill dogg on it.. but if you have alluminum heads id give it 5 to 8 min to warm up especially if its the 1st start of the day or if its been sitting longer the 2 hours.. just my opinion/ oh and dont buy GTO.. lol

My morning routine goes something like this.

(1) Open garage, Start up car
(2) Bolt back into house
(3) Take amazingly quick poop
(4) Bolt back into garage
(5) Drive easy, under 2500 rpm for a couple miles