How many of you use your Stang as a daily driver?

Hi everybody. First post. I've been lurking here a while and am most impressed with the vast array of technical knowledge and the willingness to help. I have wanted a vintage Mustang since I was 14 and am finally thinking seriously of getting one. So I will probably have a lot of questions.

So how many of you use them every day? Is this feasible? I use the subway to commute so would mostly use if for errands and weekend stuff.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I used to drive about 80 miles a day, at least 5 days a week. Did that for six years, through high school, college, and then some. I have a company truck I drive now though-FREE GAS-nuff said.

It takes a little work and money, but they can be very relaible. Mine never gave me any grief, even when I was putting about 18k miles a year on it. However, down here in Ga., it gets freakin' hot inside when you're sitting in traffic in the summer.

Mine's a daily driver- it's fun, lots of looks, though lots of gas. But that's the price you pay. Yes, no A/C does suck. What sucks even more is having the equipment for a/c, but putting everything back in and finding out there's a short in the blower motor.... meaning it all has to come back out and you have work in the morning :( AH well.

Good luck finding one... be persistant. I looked for two years before I found my car. Raped the guy on the deal too. :D

The Swede

Oh yeah, welcome

I drive mine everyday, take it to parties, do all the dumb stuff high school kids do with their cars (I've grown a lot more open to taking it anywhere, and somehow, nothing ever happens to it, even in the most crowded of places). The only bad thing about driving a classic daily once you have all the goodies that make it reliable and run great is the gas milage, it kills me.

My '66 coupe has been my daily driver for 2 years. It's bare bones with no options and has had minimal maintainence upgrades done to it. Never let me down and isnt too bad to drive since I havent ever been use to a new car experience. My first car was the daily driver for a year...bare bones '71 coupe(much better driver personally) and I used the '71 Grande(loaded)off and on when I felt like driving somethin other than the others. My '66 will be ending its service soon though in favor of the big '77 F-150.

I split up my driving between the stang and my jeep. I always drove the jeep to school because it didn't need to warm up, and it doesn't smell like gas. The mustang is just kind of an optional driver because I'm working on it, slowly. Saving money to keep the project goin.

-Shaun

I drive the fastback to work everyday. I'm sure it doesnt help the morning rush hour problem, since it stops traffic:nice:

But yeah, its definitely not for everyone. 99% of the people out there would get tired of it real quick.

During the morning, around 6am, the flowmasters irritate me. The drone is a bit too much. But during the afternoon, after i've already woken up, I love the sound, and love driving through the traffic when they drone, cause it causes everyone to look and listen.

I could use A/C and a sound system though. Thats the only thing i miss from a modern car.

I drive it to work everyday, rain or shine!! I will (if I can) always own a classic and drive it. This just puts more emphasis on my creature features/modern up-grades. I have it handling med hard, and over-kill brakes, overdrive yadda yadda.......I have all the a/c stuff, but I’ll prolly wait on that.

DRIVE IT!!

Daily driver since 1983, when we bought it to replace the Caspian Blue 65 that was a daily driver that was crunched by a Dodge Ram Van.

No sense having it if you don't drive it.

Luckily, I teach 8am classes, so I'm at campus by 7am. I get an end parking place and a good friend parks his Honda on the other side of me to protect me.

Still, when it gets hot and the AC only blows semi-cool, I'm envious of my wife's Jetta---until someone gives me a thumbs up! Then, I'm glad I drive it!

Practical? Nope. Effecient? Nope. Cool? You betcha. :nice:

--Paul :banana:

Mine used to be a daily driver. And before my cam died it was daily driver reliable. There were a few times I didn't drive any of our other cars because I was having too much fun driving it.

I drive mine nearly every day, it was my only driver for five years. Switch off between it and my 86 ranger, 13mpg vs 23mpg. I drive the mustang in the rain, but I have gotta be careful even with the posi it will spin the tires through intersections without trying.

It's a go-kart that they let me drive on the freeway. :D

It gets really hot w/o AC(110F in August here). Some day I have got to fix the header exhaust leak. There are other things that bug me too. I enjoy the car enough that I look past the problems. Most of the stuff is fixable with $$ anyway. Now if I could just find some...

MustangPaul said:
Still, when it gets hot and the AC only blows semi-cool, I'm envious of my wife's Jetta---until someone gives me a thumbs up! Then, I'm glad I drive it!

Practical? Nope. Effecient? Nope. Cool? You betcha. :nice:

--Paul :banana:

agreed

I used a 36,000 original mile fully restored 65 A code Fastback as my daily driver for 9 months. It then had 38,500 miles on it :D. Then I sold it to get outta car payments. I miss it, it had power steering, disc brakes, and A/C.

Now my 67 is my daily driver. Drums and no A/C :notnice: But, i get too many looks. For $5000 it sure looks nice. Because I live in Houston and its hot, the windows are always down and you hear people drive by, "whoa look at that ride!" or people yelling from 2 lanes over, "what year is it?!!!". So, I put up with the heat and slow stopping and 12mpg (what can I say, I hot rod it everywhere lol) But its getting a disc swap and an AOD, so i'll be super happy then.