How much air pressure in 255/35/20?

• Sponsors (?)

Regardless of rim and tire size you always set the air pressure that the CAR requires. If you have the correct width rim then your track will be correct.

This is not completely true. With the stock TIRES yes, but when you go to a different size wheel and tire, the tire pressure should change. www.discounttiredirect.com has a conversion chart somewhere on their site that tells you the proper air pressure you should run with a giving size tire, and it's vehicle specific.

Nick

I run 42lbs. in mine. Most people are running between 40-50. The max is 50lb and I would suggest running 45-47 if you don't really pay enough attention to miss pot holes and stuff like that. Your rim will be better protected at the higher air pressure. If you are careful, you can get away with 40-42 lbs. and be fine. If you get down into the mid-30's you are taking a chance of damaging a rim or tire if you hit something in the road just right like a pot hole or rail road crossing. It's a chance you would have to take. If you have any more questions just e-mail me at [email protected]. I can help you out with any tire questions.

Yeah, 40+ psi will do nothing for you unless your road racing. All you will do is wear out the center of the tires really quick on a daily driven car. I wouldn't recommend anymore then 35.

i run at 40psi..... the reasoning:

30-35 is pretty low and you risk a tire buldge to being "pinched" in a pothole

40 uniform tire wear good fuel milage and sportier ride but not too rough

50 psi very high pressure excessive tire wear in the middle of the tire less tire life

i worked in a wheel and tire shop for 6 years and those are my reasons.... or opinions

i run at 40psi..... the reasoning:

30-35 is pretty low and you risk a tire buldge to being "pinched" in a pothole

40 uniform tire wear good fuel milage and sportier ride but not too rough

50 psi very high pressure excessive tire wear in the middle of the tire less tire life

i worked in a wheel and tire shop for 6 years and those are my reasons.... or opinions

That's the right info. 40psi is definately not too much air for a 255/35zr20! It might be for the factory 235/55r17, but not a 20" tire like that. I see too many of those tires with knots on the sidewall from low pressure to run less than that. That's coming from working in a custom wheel and tire shop for 8 years running.